Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 May 2011

10. Praveer's Suzuki Bandit, 2010

Name: Praveer Kochhar AKA pkon
Age: 28
Profession: Owns a marketing firm
Motorcycle Club: xBhp

"Pkon is as true a biker as they come. The love for biking hits a crezendo when you know that you'd do anything to convert your passion into your work. Pkon has done just that!"



What the manual says on the bike..

Engine type :4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC
Bore Stroke :79.0 mm (3.110 in) x 64.0 mm (2.520 in)
Displacement :1255 cc (76.6 cu. in)
Compression Ratio :10.5 : 1
Max Power : 98 Bhp @ 7500 rpm
Max Torque : 108 Nm @ 3700 rpm
Fuel System :Fuel injection
Transmission :6-speed constant mesh
Final drive : RK GB50GSVZ3, 118 links
Front suspension :Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
Rear suspension :Link type, coil spring, oil damped
Front brake :Disc brake, twin
Rear brake :Disc brake
Front tire :120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless
Rear tire :180/55ZR17M/C (73W), tubeless
Fuel tank :19.0 L
Overall Length :2130 mm (83.9in)
Overall Width :790 mm (31.1 in)
Overall Height :1235 mm (48.6 in)
Seat Height :785/805 mm (0.9/31.7 in) – Low/High
Wheelbase :1485 mm (58.5 in)
Curb Weight :250 kg (551 lbs)
Ground Clearance :135 mm ( 5.3 in)

What Praveer has to say on himself and the bike..

1.Describe the biker in your in less in less than three lines

A.I am still in the process of defining what is it about motorcycling that I love. Why do I ride a bike? I know a lot of you out there know the answer pretty well but not me. To me its something alien, something that is so deep in the sub-conscious that it will take probably more than a eureka moment to figure out why do I ride a bike?




2.When and what machine made you realise that biking is what you were made for?
A.My first bike the RE 535 Lightning that I bought within 20 days of getting my Drivers License. It was faster, bigger and meaner than anything around at that time. The choice was a real easy one to make.


3.How many bikes have you owned till the Bandit happened?
A.3 bikes in all. And all 3 bullets. I have been a thump lover all my life. It started off with the Lightning 535 and then it was the Electra which I got converted into a Chopper and now finally a Thunderbird Twin-Spark which I still retain.


4.Was the decision to buy the bandit instantaneous or was it a product of long drawn research?
A.It was pretty instantaneous. I saw the bike and realised that for a tourer like me it is the best machine in the market. I am a very impulsive buyer and went for it naturally.Before I knew it the brand new machine was there in front of my eyes with some 90odd bhp. Think about it thats almost 5 times of what I was used to. And well within 4 days of buyiing it we decided to ride it to Khardung-la Top for a short documentary and to create some news for the arrival of the bike. What a way to run in the Bandit.


6. How long have you owned it and how many KM's have you put on it
A.I have owned it now for 8 months and I have clocked 12,000 kms on it.I doubt if any other bike has clocked more KM's in such short time. Do they have a prize for this kind of thing? :)


7.What about the Bandit appeals to you the most?
A.The Low-end torque and the comfortable riding position for both rider and pillion.




8.What about it irritates you and what do you think should be done to sort it out?
A.The high Center of Gravity is one of the most irritating parts of the bike. Its made to ride in a straight line and it does that beautifully. The bike is just not suited to be thrown in to corners without having your heart in your mouth. But I am getting a hang of riding it on the corners. It is an elephant when it comes to leaning and I guess its made me realise that maybe it has too much power for the kind of corners we have in India.


9.Have you run into an mechanical/electrical issues? if yes how did you fix it.
A.Never faced a issue. Though when we took it to Leh within a week of its landing here, the radiator fan got shut due to some mud and the fuse blew. But since the weather was cool we kept riding it.


10.Do you believe in customising the bike? If yes what are the mods you've done to it? have they been useful?
A.I do like to customize the bike but only to suit what I need from it and that is Touring. One thing that I missed in the bandit is the sound. I mean being a Enfield guy I miss listening to the almost mute engine exhaust. So I installed a Beowulf on it and Now it sounds much much better and insane.


11.What has been your most incredible experience on the road with the bandit?
A.There have been many many long rides but my personal was the Delhi-Udaipur-Delhi. I did delhi updaipur in just over 10 hours at a leisurely pace. I have also done a lot of other rides as well including taking a bandit and a GSXR to Nako but the Udaipur ride just for the sheer quality of tarmac.


12. Have you ever been in an unfortunate incident thanks to the roads not being ready for a superbike?
A.Well yes I had a fall but not a very serious one just 15 kms before Pooh in Himachal. The road was a mountain gravel track and I turned left on a sharp left hander only to find a stone hidden under the mud and the rear slid out of control. I didnt have any injuries but it was a task to pick this baby up once it falls on the ground.

13.What do you answer when people pull up and ask you " what mileage do you get?"
A.I tell them honestly that it gives around 17-18


14. Have people asked you if its a modified karizma or other such likes?
A.It does look like it sometimes right?Well considering the Bandit is not such a great looker, which was another reason for me to go in for this bike. Now many would think of it as an oxymoron but since I ride with my wife a lot I dont want un-necessary attention when not required. So I have been able to avoid getting noticed since I ride a bigger looking karizma.



15. When faced the the uncomfortable question, "how much does it cost?" how do you answer it?
A.Its a tough one,Well I try not to answer that one. Tell them it costs just a little more than a car.


16.If you could buy any bike money could buy what would be it?
A.A BMW GS1200 Adventure. Cant ask for a better bike to tour on. Who ever designed it has definitely been a major tourer.


17. Do you have you eyes on any other bike that is for sale in India? If yes why?
A.Well yes I want to own a Iron 883 really soon. I am missing the Thump in my life and hopefully should go for it within 6-8 months.




18.do you like giving rides to people who have never been on a superbike, If yes which was the most fun?
A.Well yes I do basically friends of mine who are interested in Biking. And yes once I took a friend pillion on the Delhi Noida Expressway and by the end of the ride he swore not to sit on a bike ever again


19. Would you recommend that people take a loan and buy a superbike?
A.Yes why not, I have taken one and I dont think that is a bad option at all. In todays world no-one wants to dispose off the valuable liquid cash lying around. And also in the middle of the loan you might want to change your bike so you can just sell and shift the same EMI for another bike. Its like having a bike with a very high Monthly rental.


20. Whats your advice to someone who is thinking of getting into the superbike league?
A.Only one advise which I realised after getting the Bandit and still do realise everytime I sit on it. With greater power comes greater responsibility. And on these big bikes if you dont have fear of the road, you are surely not going to have a long time riding. We live in a country where superbiking has a very different definition. So go for a 600cc to start with and then upgrade to a litre class. That is also one thing I would like in the Bandit, adjustable power bands that can reduce its power when I want.

1 comment: