Search This Blog

Thursday 5 May 2011

11. Sharad and his XR1200 Sportster, 2010

name: Sharad AKA SHEROO
Age: 44
Profession: ACTOR and TELEVISION ANCHOR
Motorcycle club: Brotherhood Riding Club
City: New Delhi




"I must ride the road because it’s there. I don’t know my destination, but I’m on that highway and its taking me places..!"




What the manual says on the bike..

Displacement: 1202.00 ccm (73.35 cubic inches)
Engine type: V2, four-stroke
Torque: 98.00 Nm (10.0 kgf-m or 72.3 ft.lbs) @ 3200 RPM
Compression: 9.7:1
Bore x stroke: 88.9 x 96.8 mm (3.5 x 3.8 inches)
Fuel system: Injection. Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Belt
Clutch: 9-plate, wet
Exhaust system: Upswept, high-volume 2-1-2 straight shot exhaust system finished in satin chrome
Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Frame type: Mild steel tubular frame; circular sections; cast junctions
Front suspension: Sport-tuned Showa® suspension featuring 43mm inverted front forks
Rear suspension: Twin pre-load adjustable shock absorbers
Front tyre dimensions: 120/70-ZR18
Rear tyre dimensions: 180/55-ZR17
Front brakes: Double disc. 4-piston calipers
Front brakes diameter: 292 mm (11.5 inches)
Rear brakes: Single disc. Single pistom
Rear brakes diameter: 292 mm (11.5 inches)
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight: 251.0 kg (553.4 pounds)
Seat height: 742 mm (29.2 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Fuel capacity: 12.50 litres (3.30 gallons)



1. When did you first get yourself on a bike? which one was it? How was the experience?
A.When I was about 16 I knew this fellow who rode a “Yezdi”. I knew that the bloke was switched on each time he was on it. I couldn’t resist any more and so I asked him to teach me. Being a friend he showed me the gears (the kick start turning into a gear was completely insane!.!) and 30 seconds later I was ripping across the parking lot. It was quite incredible that I took to it like a boy takes to his Levis. I rode in the parking area for 30 minutes and that was it! I was hooked. But my initiation goes back much further. I remember riding pillion behind my dad as he rode his BMW R 60/6 (600 cc) around the twisty’s of ‘Juhu Tara’ Road in Bombay. I can never forget the throb of the engine underneath. The excitement of leaning the bike over holding on to dear dad for life.
(BTW my dad still keeps those bikes in running shape). But when I turned 16, surprisingly he didn’t want me to take to motorcycling at all. But the blood of the two wheeled horse runs deep in my veins and not before long I was riding that R60/6 BMW Twin practically every day.
In the early 80’s my pillion buddy and I used to ride down the Jaipur highway (The only 4 lane expressway in India at the time) every Sunday. We would leave at 10 am (there was no traffic back then), via Gurgaon and ride to 'Neemrana' (en-route to Jaipur) all in a span of a couple of hours. To be able to cruise @ 120 kmph was unheard of in those days on a bike. Commuters would be agog with what this beast was and I loved it..!!

2.Who taught you the first rules of riding a bike?
A.When I was in college I had a roommate from Bangalore - Richard, who was a very knowledgeable RD350 aficionado who read all these books on riding big bikes (BTW I must mention here that ‘Super bikes’ was still a term used in only in MOTO GP or at the Isle of man TT. It was the year’ TOP GUN’ was released and Tom Cruise rode the Kawasaki Ninja 900. The world first official superbike for the masses. And it turned the biking world on its head. Those were the days of the Suzuki Katana, the Honda CB 1100 6 cyl behemoth, The Kawasaki Z1, the Suzuki 600 Bandit, the Honda 600 Hornet, the VFR 750 and the 1st generation Gixxer 750 and many more. All bikes that have spawned legendry descendants!)
It was he who demonstrated to me what counter steering was. I remember he sat behind me and pushed and pulled my arms and my amazement at the concept. He explained why GP riders shift their bodies for maximum cornering clearance. Why there were double discs up front and single ones at the back. We would watch all the MOTO GP races together and talk bikes and gear. I bought my first set of ‘Frank Thomas’ riding gloves from him. Yes he definitely left an indelible impression on me. And the irony of it all – I lost touch with him. So if anyone knows where Richard Christopher from Bangalore is please let him know that I thank him deeply for that wealth of knowledge he shared with me.



3. How many bikes have you owned since then?
A. My first purchase was a Suzuki DR350 Two stroke off roader. It was a 2nd hand, had a an oil leak from its crank but I loved it. Bright blue it was - with a white fender and knobby tyres. I rode it to college everyday even took it to the hills a couple of times. It had that loud two stroke buzz which announced my arrival much before I was seen. The girls loved it. I would lean it to its max on roundabouts and looking back I’m amazed that I didn’t toss once. After college I sold my Suzuki DR 350 and I didn’t really purchase a motorcycle as I had access to the BMW’s at home. Soon after marriage I moved out of my father’s house and with that my motorcycling chapter came to an abrupt end. Didn’t really expect my father to part with his beauts...! Furthermore priorities were different and I had had my fill of motorcycling by then. I struggled as a youngster and making ends meet was not easy. Remember we were a completely closed economy back then. Superbikes on the road were limited to a few Norton’s, BSA’s, some non descript Japanese 400’s imported from Japan, a couple of Indian chiefs and Harleys or the occasional BMW.


4. Which one is closest to your heart?
A. For me it would be the BMW R 60/6. Although not mine technically I found my riding feet on that bike. It was big, it was powerful (well if you call 35 bhp powerful..!) shaft driven, a large bikini fairing, with a head light more powerful than all the cars on the roads. It made me feel like a celebrity. But the Beemer was like a teenage crush you never forget but ultimately get over. Because I now have a new mistress and it’s called the HD XR1200X.

5 What made you choose the XR1200? It’s definitely not a quintessential Harley-Davidson
A.. Correct. But if you look at the XR – it is essentially the BMW that I rode as a kid. The ergonomics, the TWIN cylinders, the naked look, the enigma of the brand. And it’s not surprising that the XR was developed for the European market. The home turf of the BMW’s, the Moto Guzzi’s and the Ducati’s.

When I was carving those roads in Lutyens Delhi on the Beemer in the 80’s I wished that the bike had tighter and racier suspension and not wallow across the road. I hated that I couldn’t get my knee down. I wanted to scrape the cylinder heads but I couldn’t. 25 years later when I was financially able to shop for a motorcycle from all the brands available in India, I knew what I wanted.


I seriously considered the Honda CB1000R (descendant of the Hornet one of the favs back then as well). I was hoping that the Yamaha FJ1300 would make its presence but all they had on offer was the R1 (too sporty) and the MT01 (too brutal). Ditto for the Gixxer and the Fire-blade. I guess my DNA was already leaning towards the TWIN. Whether in a V configuration or horizontally opposed. I looked at the Ducati’s but they were too expensive and exotic. BMW’s were still into cars two years ago. So the obvious choice was Harley who launched with much more conviction than any other brand.

(Incidentally my father owned a 1940 WW2 Harley but he sold that before I was born – I believe it was converted into one of the 1st “Phat phatias” that ferried passengers to Old Delhi and beyond).

But I couldn’t see myself on a cruiser. Well not yet anyway. I still had to put some quick miles under my belt. So I set my eyes on the HD Nightster. Red n black paint. V Twin. 1200 cc. Retro Chic. But when I rode her on that balmy May afternoon at Kala Ghoda in Mumbai, in 2010 John McEnany (The Original HD Yankee with HD India) came up to me and said “Sir that bike is way too small for you - why don’t you try all the bikes because your bike will pick you”. Words that I shall never forget. I tried the Fat-boy, the Road King, the Dyna Street glide, the V rod. But when I swung my leg over the XR1200X. All those sensations of riding the BMW R60/6 came rushing back and I knew it instantly, this is my ride.

6.Do people confuse the XR for a Jap bike?

A. No never. Because there is nothing like it on the road. They know that it’s a superbike. But when they come closer they don’t know what to make of it. I guess it takes time for all the darkness of the bike to consume its onlooker. They just stare at it. Not speaking just taking it all in. Because it is raw naked aggression staring back. Like Anakin Skywalker (for all those who missed Star Wars episode 4, 1978) after he was seduced by the dark side of the force. Black. Dark. Deathly.




7.Whats the best part of the XR1200 –

A.Its ride. Its enigma. The profound sound of the V twin that emanates when the throttle is opened (and I still haven’t put in After Market exhausts). The torque that hits you between your eyeballs at any given RPM. Its ground clearance - all 150 mm of it. The 180 section rear. The fully adjustable USD forks up front. The fully adjustable Showa set at the rear. The matt black look devoid of chrome. Retro yet modern. Its ability to seduce me each time I throw my leg on her. She can take me across the continent. She can play with the superbikes on the expressway. She’s my black beauty and I call her ‘ANAKIN’

8.Whats the most irritating part and what do you think H-D should do to fix it.
A.I am always looking for a 6th gear. Being a bike that traces its roots to Flat track racing its geared very low. In top gear i.e. 5th it begins to sound urgent at speeds over 130. Even though its spinning in the meat of its power band and is great fun, I do miss a 6th especially when I’m touring. So I’m going to change the gearing and put in a taller one. And that will make a great bike even greater. Another thing that does annoy at times is the vibration from the engine. But then thats what the Harley is all about.

9.Narrate a memorable experience on the road.
A.TEN HARLEYS cutting loose in the crisp February morning on the deserted expressway between Kishangarh (Rajasthan) and Udaipur. Not another soul on the road that twisted ahead for miles. Just the rumble of the Ten V twins. In formation - like a big black beast wearing its shiny chrome armour, glistening in the winter morning sun. The sum greater than its parts. We shook our heads in disbelief at the emotions that were coursing through our veins. Each one of us had the same thing to say when we stopped for some ‘Chai’. “Those damn 100 kms made every penny that we spent our bikes worth its weight in gold”



10. How about a not so memorable experience.
A.Getting into Udaipur later on. The traffic. The chaos. The heat from the engines. The unwarranted attention. Losing our direction. Getting separated and having to find our way to the hotel. Although it sounds like just another day in super biking in India, but the contrast to the ecstasy we experienced moments before was way too jarring to forget.

11.Whats the best way to answer this question on the road " How much does it cost?"
A. I just show them two fingers. They fill in the blanks.

12. Do you get irritated when asked about the mileage?
A.Yeah. I say it proudly “Bhai saab deti nahi hai – leti hai” (Sir, it doesn’t give, it takes) It always leaves them with a smile.



13.Solo riding or group riding. which do you prefer?
A.Both. Riding Solo has its moments of spirituality. I rode alone from Mumbai To Delhi. ( I had my driver following me in my car – but I was riding alone) and I haven’t had a more spiritual experience ever. On the other hand Group rides bring with it elements of camaraderie, freedom, unity and BOYhood!


14. Where do you park your bike? how do you deal with people sitting on it when its parked.?

A.I park my bike in a garage in my house. There is a 24 hr security guard and CCTV monitors on it. Yeah call me paranoid. No one touches my Harley when its parked at home. But if someone sits on my bike when its parked in a public place and I can see him (if it’s a her, she can sit on it all day) then I will yell at the top of my voice and it usually works. I have a loud voice. J

15.Have you ever run into any mechanical/electrical issues? if yes how did you fix it.
A.Not yet. Just the horn began malfunctioning after we rode in the rain on the way back from Kasauli last month. The minute it cleared up it started to work again. Strange.
Also - I had purchased an optional fuel gauge from HD. It did not work and malfunctioned from the beginning. So Harleys do have their share of niggles and that gets irritating because you pay top dollar for the product and replacement takes a lot of time.


16. How has your experience been with the Harley Dealership?
A. My personal experience has been from good to bad. Bad - because of the 1 1/2 month delay in delivery even after full payment despite the bike being in India. Bad – because the mechanics at the HD service centre are sometimes out of their depth. Good - because the dealership offered to pick up half the shipping costs of the bike to Mumbai. Good - because the HD service centre will bend over backwards to address all complaints.

17. Which is the next bike you have set your eyes on?
A. Ah well - that’s a fantasy that changes from Day to day. Hour to hour. It ranges from the
BMW R1200 GS adv to the BMW S1000RR to the Ducati ‘Diavel’ to the Harley CVO Ultra classic Electra glide.

18. You enjoy having a pillion? do they get scared or do they fall in love with biking?

A.Taking someone pillion is more fun on a cruiser. So it helps if you buddy loves travel, biking and the outdoors. But if I were to take someone pillion on the XR, I would do it to share my excitement that I experience on the bike. So until I get a genuine request from my wife or my best friend for a ride - I will ride alone. But if they do ride pillion I will be very restrained in my antics. That way you get to keep your marriage and your friendships intact. J
But my children have been on the bike and they love it.




19. Whats your advice to someone who wants to begin riding..
A. Learn how to ride on a 150 cc or a bullet. And only after 5,000 kms under your belt should you think of moving to a Kawasaki 250 ninja or a Honda CBR 250. The next step after notching up another 5,000 kms would be a litre class BUT beware you’re still not ready for a superbike. I would recommend the Suzuki bandit or the Honda CB1000r or a Ducati Monster 796. After this your biking skills and your acquaintance with road traffic will allow you to responsibly enjoy any superbike of your liking. So at least THREE full years of riding before you can even touch your superbike. Because you can make a fatal mistake only once.

1 comment:

  1. Darth Vader,

    Those were some interesting sojourns in the journey in a 2-wheeler whirld!

    ReplyDelete