Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 August 2011

34. Sumit's Suzuki Hayabusa,2010

Name: Sumit Mehra AKA Buffy the Busa Slayer

Profession: Real Estate Developer

Age: 36

Club:G.O.D.S





When did you begin riding and which was your first bike?



Two wheels have always fascinated me beginning with the humble bicycle, which earned me the name of wheelie champ, credited to the front wheel seldom contacting the ground. Very quickly the love of two wheels fixated itself on my 1st bike the KAWASAKI BAJAJ KB-100 It was the first 100cc 2 wheeler to have a RPM meter along with a beautiful dash a treat full of lights and indicators.



My maternal uncles RX-100, my 1st love at 1st sight! (my biking genes come from my Mom’s side as all my uncles had bikes ranging from RX-100, Yezdi , Bullet ) He gave me biking tips not realizing that I was a super biker in the making, I set my hands on his RX-100 and hopped over every chance I got to go to granny’s place. That was the turning point and I have never been able to live without a bike since. The gushing wind that takes the tears from your eyes and slips them behind your ears, Speed to super speed the road was set!



My parents like most are vehemently against bikes! And to convince them to let me get one, now that was a super big roadblock! But much nagging and sulking finally won them over ;-) I got me my very own KB-100. My 1st love.









Tell us about your wheels while you were in college??



The KB-100 was my 1st. I kept her for an year went manic mechanic with all the modifications possible (of course with the limited resources available at the time) from a free flow exhaust to a wheelie sprocket to rear rim. I was on the verge of Fitting a 5th gear when the RD-350 bug bit me the queen of Bikes and GOD! Was she stunning!!.. The pulsating engine sound and the dual carb’s, dual exhaust.. She was

Gorgeous.. I fell head over heels in love pining for power! Drooling over the super curvaceous looks. Now I just wanted to jet my hands on her! But knowing that the

RD-350 was known as the YAMDOOT the challenge was to get family to agree that too less than a year after my 1st bike! Having pondered on a way out for a while I sold off my year old KAWASAKI and picked up an immaculate condition RED RD-350 (had not mentioned about the change and gave my parents a huge surprise “read SHOCK” till now all my new loves have been a surprise, no advance warnings on this front)



The RD was beautiful.. with dual exhausts.. the mesmerizing sound. Setting up the timing and standing It was the beginning of the life long love affair with Superbikes.. I was so thrilled with a two pot bike and that too with 6 gears. Long nights spent just gazing at her just admiring the size and beauty of the machine.

I rode to college and my love was every guy’s envy. My baby and me had a blast. There was a group of 350’s that used to ride in the evenings, I rode with them for a while, I did some mods to the RD then.. It was a CDI engine so got it changed to a stroke for more power. She was a real head turner and spent 7 polished, speed filled and shining years with me. We went everywhere together!





Which was your first superbike and how did you get your hands on her??



The lust for power never died ! And faster bigger was always better! I spent my life in love with superbikes and its Superbikes, which gave me direction for my life!



Availability and price was a challenge, But the bug had bitten so hard that whenever I saw a SBK I was camped next to it gazing and lusting! Just had to have one of my own! One Sunday morning on the way to Jaipur we stopped at the Mc-Donalds in Manesar, I saw a couple of guys wearing proper riding gear and helmets in hand walking out, on seeing the gear I realized that the superbikers were there! As those guys opened the throttle on the highway I floored the accelerator of my corolla and zoomed after them but in vain.. Could not even read the number plates of any of the bikes (I was so engrossed in bikes that I forgot my parents were still at Mc-D waiting for me,) The rest of the journey was spent with me singing like a canary about the gorgeous machines!



So I asked for a Bike (1000 Cc of power, 10 lacs of cost, 250 KMPH speed) we all know how that conversation with parents ends! BIG BIG NO!! My father simply said, “When you can afford one of your own, then we will talk” for him it was end of story! For me it was the beginning of mine! I diversified out of the family business taking a path of my own building homes! Dream mansions, which became the stepping-stones to my dream bike! 16 months later with the sale of my 1st project came the purchase of my 1st SBK. A HONDA CBR 954.. It was a 2005 RED with beautiful black graphics. Mint condition.. I remember when I first sat on the bike after taking delivery from the dealer.. My legs were trembling as I fulfilled a dream with my own determination to succeed.







As usual my father was not aware of my latest possession (till date he never knows which set of wheels I will go and pick up next) When my Mom finally broke the news to him and he saw my new love, He was stunned and speechless, He gave me the best advise any biker can get, Just one sentence “Son, now that you have already bought this superbike.. Just remember ALWAYS RIDE WITH YOUR HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDER.. This is a very powerful machine so don’t try to test its limit ever… THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WAITING FOR YOU AT HOME..” I HUGGED HIM.. And till date I have not disregarded this advise.



That’s when I joined G.O.D.S met Doc.. Who is like an Elder brother.. And with him we all are ONE BIG FAMILY.









How many have you owned after that and which is your favorite



More BHP more CC more and more!

After my CBR 954 I fell in love with the mighty GSXR 1300.. The

HAYABUSA.. FALCON.. Man she was a mean machine.. and the sheer size

in itself marks the presence on road.. The looks were stunning, those

curves .. I drooled over the bike when I saw her up close for the

first time during one of the rides with G.O.D.S but kept myself in

control as to master the 954 was a big task and eyeing a bigger

machine was something which required a lot of experience on a smaller

machine.. So I kept practicing more on the 954 and after 6-7 months my

back problem (which was more coz of the riding position on the 954 ) I

had to go for a surgery and was advised STRICTLY NOT TO RIDE by the

surgeons… After being on bed for 2 months when I got up for the first

time I went and sat on the my 954…It was painful, I decided to go in for

a bike with better seating position.. Only one mighty mean machine was in mind..The HAYABUSA as

To stay without riding was IMPOSSIBLE so there I was hunting for a New

Hayabusa and I got the first ever 07 black hayabusa in town, She was

a dame. And the bug bit me so deep that I have been a committed BUSA

fan since then. I have changed 4 BUSA’S ( If you still wondering why

am I given the nick.. BUFFY…THE BUSA SLAYER ) Presently I own a 2010

BLACK/RED HAYABUSA and in 9 months already clocked 9000 kms. Its true

after riding this bike no other machine can tempt for a change.. Atleast in my case.. Am a BIG HAYABUSA FAN 





How friendly are the Indian roads to the Busa?



Ummm.. its ok but I’ve had a not so good experience with one of my BUSA’S. I had

customized the bike’s bodywork with great effort and lot of pains and

came out with the best graphic work I bet (obviously with the help of

a dear fellow rider) I owe the result to her hard work. She worked on

the bike for a very long time and the result was AWESOME. The bike

looked so so stunning that wherever I would park her, people would

just keep gazing at her in awe… So when the bike was out of the

paint shop with those flying dragons and flames all over the bodywork

(which were imported from the U.S. 3 times to match the exact size and

dual tone color of the tank) We wanted to celebrate it so went to a

coffee shop after a ride. We had just parked the bikes and went

inside, After a few minutes a guy walked upto us and said that someone

has tipped the bike while reversing the car… I rushed out to see the

horrific scene when my BUSA was lying on one of the side.. The guy

never saw the bike parked and bumped into her. The bodywork got

damaged and fairings gave way.. Thankfully the extra bodywork was in

stock and not to forget this dear friend was beside to help and work

on my bike again.. She just made the bike look Stunning again.



If you could buy any bike in the world.. What would that be ??



Well biking is my passion and to shortlist just one would be really

difficult. Every machine is different and I would not have settled for

just one.. Infact would have as many as I can. So the list will be

never ending. I so wish that I have a huge collection of these

beautiful babies from all manufacturers and I take a walk down the

where all these are parked in a huge garage … which is mine

wondering which one to ride when..





Tell us about your riding gear and where do you buy it from ??



Riding gear is the most important thing for a rider. Specially when

you are riding such fast machines. One should never ever compromise on

this, it is the only life saving thing. I never ride without my riding

gear and never promote riding without proper gear. Over these years I

have got so used to the gear that I find it uncomfortable to ride

without it even for a short distance. I have the SHOEI X-11 and SHOEI

X-12 series helmets, besides other ones which I have I find the

fitting of these the best. They are very light yet a very strong

shell. The shape is aerodynamic for the least wind drag on high

speeds. I have armored jackets from Alpinestar, Joe Rocket (they are

fitted with spine protectors, elbow and shoulder padding)My ankle high

riding boots are again armored at the toe and heel not to forget the

ankle protectors which are in built. Leather Gloves with knuckle

gaurds and extra leather padding on the palm, Knee and shin protectors

from Alpinestar again. Most of the stuff was bought on trips abroad

and some of it bought from stores within the country such as

Performance Racing Store in Mumbai.







Have you ever had a fall from a superbike ? if yes what have you

learnt from it ?




I don’t think there would be any 2 wheeler rider who has never had a

fall, it’s a part of the deal I guess.. infact the most perfect riders

ve had their share and so have I  this was a few years back when I

was trying some crazy stunt on my Hayabusa.. Well what happened I

still don’t remember (concussion left me lost) all I remember was that

I started my bike… went on the main road and a bang.. after which I

was in the hospital going through a frenzy of tests. What happened..

how it happened… what hit me.. is still a mystery, Thank god I was in

my riding gear else.. I would ve been a history or if not me my biking

would ve surely been. I was just shaken, thankfully not even a scratch

anywhere…bike was damaged though. That day I learnt my lesson loud

and clear..

These are beasts hence can never be tamed. One wrong move and they

will never give another chance. Flying just 6” above surface is indeed

risky so never cross your limit. These machines cant be tested to

their limit on roads so never try that also, track is the only place

where one can try however I still don’t recommend that ..if one has to

ride for long one has to be in shape with all the bones intact. This

is my passion and I want to carry it on for as long as my body

permits. Don’t want to bring it to a full stop.

LIVE TO RIDE.. RIDE TO LIVE.. IS MY MANTRA. Always wear proper

gear and never ever perform stunts or overspeed. When the inner voice

says SLOW DOWN.. time to hit the brakes man..



What advice would you give to aspiring riders ?



Well biking is a passion and if the passion is deep within and one

wants to keep that going then have to follow few things

ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTIVE RIDING GEAR

NEVER OVERSPEED

ALWAYS BE IN CONTROL

ITS BETTER TO OVERPOWER THE MACHINE THAN LET THE MACHINE OVERPOWER

DO NOT PERFORM STUNTS ON ROADS… YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE..

LIVE TO RIDE… RIDE TO LIVE



5 comments:

  1. One killer story , one could feel the excitement in sharing it as well :)
    I could relate the excitement moreover as planning to hop on a Kwacker 10R soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sumit bhaiya and haybusa "made for each other".. superlike.. i always follow his quote and thats live to ride.. ride to live --- zeeshan iqbal

    ReplyDelete
  3. kya baat hai ,,,,maja aa gaya :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i live in uttrakhand haldwani .distt.nainital .soon im going to buy yamaha FZ1..i want to know that from where can we get good riding gears in india.plz reply

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hayabusa is famed for cutting through the air with incredible agility and performance. It combines massive thrust, unmatched maneuverability, and a silky smooth ride on city streets or the open road. We as Planet Auto recommend Hayabusa for ultimate riding experience. Connect with us here for more information: Hayabusa 1300

    ReplyDelete