Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 August 2011

38. Ali's Yamaha R1, 2010

Name: Ali Tejani

Age: 32

Occupation: Merchant Trader

City: Pune

Riding Club(if any):None







1. When did your love for superbiking begin?



Love for motorcycles goes back during my childhood years, when my father had a Red Rajdoot. However it really became an "obsessive compulsive disorder" & kicked in back in school ,when I use to see this elderly parsi gentlemen riding around pune on his Red & White Honda CB1000. In my opinion its still one the the best looking naked bike.



2.Who taught you the first rules of biking?



Self taught & experiences did the teaching really , I was always keen to improve by riding technique, did a lots of reading on various sites on the net, watched a lot of clips online about body positioning, cornering, breaking. After which I use to do lots of practicing late nights on the back streets of Pune.





3.Which was your first superbike and how did you get it?



Well i would not call it superbike really, but my first real "sports bike" was the Yamaha FZR400. It was the most thrilling fun I have had. I was in my 12th Grade .

My first true superbike would be my current 2010 R1.







4. Tell us the story of how you got your hands on the R1?



The interesting story about the R1 is that I've been chasing it since 1998, the year it was introduced . I would take photo's along side it, since 1998 every place that i saw it or where every I traveled on vacations. At the mall or on the street or even if i had to take cab, bus or train to the showroons in Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa, USA, Australia !...I mean every where..( like I said its an Obsessive complusive disorder " LOL ! )



Well moving on..During my 2 years at university in Australia, I made promise to myself to buy the R1 when i got back to india. After completing my uni..on the last day of leaving Australia, just 3 hrs before I took the cab for the airport to leave Australia for good...I took the bus to the closest Yamaha Dealer (at the gabba for those who've been to Brisbane) to buy a Helmet. It was a Bright Blue & White color HJC ( the same as the R1's flag ship colors) since i knew some day OR some how....I was getting a blue R1. This was in the year 2002....after 8 years of suffering, waiting and find ways earn the money and find ways out to import the bike, to my delight the news was announced that superbikes are now in INDIA. The yamaha R1 was " Officially " available !!



I had bought my Blue & White HJC Helmet 8 years in advance for my 2010 YZF R1.. ( Blue & White In Color...offcourse !)....







5. Whats the best attribute of the R1?



- very agile

- amazing to corner

- Looks sharp.

- Slipper Clutch

- not tiring to ride. ( ergonomics suit me well, being 6'' tall)





6.Whats about the R1 can be improved?




-More Power..Less weight.

-Brembo Brakes would complement the above..!

-Zenon Headlights / Bright Headlights for Night Riding.

-the motor pours out excessive levels of heat. Effective cooling for street/city riding need to be addressed.

-the map modes STD, A & B could be revised for better throttler response

-

7.Narrate an interesting experience on the road?



Well there have been several gr8 rides & experiences, however one was particularity strange and hilarious experience. It happen at the traffic stop, when a really thin man with a little white beard on his chin riding a Luna (in terrible condition) stops by my side, points at me with and asked me English " what is horse power CC" ? so I answer .. its 1000 cc. After which we pauses and replies " respect mann..respect to you "..! and rides off..





8.Where do you get the bike serviced?



Fortunately, the yamaha factory outlet is just 5 mins ride from my place, I get it serviced at the dealership itself. However getting is done by oneself is not rocket science ! you just need the right set tools. I'd love to do it my self if I had whole setup.









9.What Fuel/Oil do you use?



Initially Shell Premium, currently 97 Octane

However I felt the bike was smoother running with Shell Premium.







10.Whats the highest speed you've seen on the speedo




I'm not really into touching High Speeds, its not the way I ride. I prefer to ride with smoothness and technique and how I enjoy the riding. Having said that, I have done 225Kms on my VFR.



On my R1...i don't intent to find out how fast it will go. I know what it can go and wish to leave it at that.





11.Tell us about your riding gear?



Nothing very fancy, the std requirements.

- Speed & Strength Vented Textile Jacket with the STD body armor for the shoulders, Spine, Elbow

- Speed & Strength Vented Full Grain Leather Gloves with Kevlar Protection

- TCX Torsion Control Vented Boots.

- Alpinestar Knee Protection.

- And OffCouse my beloved HJC Helmet ( Blue, White with flames )

- Recently Bought a Nolan N-Com Moduler Helmet ( Hi Gloss Black Metallic ) Looks Gr8 at night when the lights shines off it.



12.What is the next bike on your mind?



-- Mostly Likely a Red Ducati Monster 1100 and a Harley 48 or the new Dark Custom Fatboy







13.what is your thoughts on the new cross plane technology?



Gr8 motor the cross plane..but I think its overrated. There is lots of room for improvement.Does not have the "pop" like the inline motor.





14.where do you park your bike?



Fortunately I have a basement car park, the bike remains fairly cool and away from dusty environment. ( always covered )





15.Whats your advice to aspiring riders?



Any Mature rider would give similar advice. Start of on Smaller Sports bikes 400's, then move up 600's before you take the pluge into superbikes . This will give to opportunity get the experience necessary and to hone skills to master superbikes.



You must be in control of your bike at all times NOT the other way around ! Its not important how fast you can go,..its how fast you can stop the bike and and get in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment