Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 July 2011

24.Arvinds Harley-Davidson 883 Roadster,2010

Name: Y V Arvind
Age: 37
Profession: Telecom Professional.



0. Why Biking?
Arvy>

Be it Men on high horses or high on horse-power (CCs), these men always had an urge
to extend their reach on power, mobility and adventure, with an ultimate intention of
extending the circle of influence on their surroundings. The sense of extending oneself to the maximum limits is ingrained deep within and the primordial force extends outwards from the Heart, oriented by the mind and executed by the physique. The force stops at the physical level unless the man accessorizes himself with extensions. On the land, at an individual level, one way of achieving this extension is through a motorcycle packed with tons of power, speed and acceleration. Speed and Power are worthy possessions to have, at the twist of the wrist, but it is the Acceleration that has you addicted, forever, burning
out the fuel of passion within!!!

Enter the Rider…Yee-Haw!

“Giddyap, Giddyap……..Vroom,Vroom, Vrooooooooooooooom…….”

True riders are a different breed of people who follow the wind and their senses, in search of adventure. The drive is inherent and programmed into the blood. Some recognize it themselves and some have to be initiated, but the rider cannot ignore the blueprint if it is burnt into his DNA!

There are people who live in groups; then there are people who go through life – solo,although they are surrounded by the social fabric. But, by heart, they are individuals seeking independence in terms of thoughts and actions. I strongly believe that Bikers are the nomads of the old ages, flamboyant like the gypsies, who want to go their own way,to connect to the nature and understand themselves (most probably unknowingly).And there are those people who ride the wave created by the crowd. As long as the wave has momentum, they ride and then subside with the ripples…
For me, biking is about going to places and picking up the vibes of the local surroundings and while experiencing those moments, try to work on putting together, the Jigsaw puzzle called “Life”. So, I ride to get a fresh/localized outlook towards life.


A few favorite quotes ~
“Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight!”
“A good long ride can clear up your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot
of fuel!”
“…and the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind…”
1. When was the first time you ever “threw a leg over the saddle”? what was the feeling like?
Arvy> Technically, the first time, I threw my leg over a saddle was a standard size cycle, when I was 8 years old, barely able to reach the pedals. A current went through me, which I couldn’t explain then, but which I understand now. (Probably, I was not ready to understand the rush of blood then but a few years later, my reaction would have been natural…)

The first time I actually hopped onto a motorized 2-wheeler was on my Dad’s “Vijay Super (Mk-II)” way back in 1985, when I was 11 years old. Dad used to come home from office, park the scooter outside the house and leave for Tennis. One day, when the call came, I pushed it in neutral and jumped onto it, putting it into 1st gear… and the scooter rattled off. I had broken the “horse”; nay, I was broken and the feeling was of exhilaration! I had graduated…from the cycle to the motorcycle and it was my proud/beaming moment!



2.What was your first bike? Was it your choice or just what you could afford?
Arvind> “My” official first bike was the ‘Bullet A350 Machismo’ in 2002, although all my college friends would contest that ‘Hero Puch’ was my first (1993), for almost 7 years. I’d say my Dad gave me that, but my own first bike was the “A350”. I had just started working in Bangalore and that was the best Indian Bike I could think of then, but more than that I was as enamored by it, as I am with a SBK now; Superbikes didn’t exist in that time frame, in my “world”. I was very happy then with it and still am, as I ride it to office everyday, 9 years ever since. It’s been my loyal work-horse and we have covered a lot of ground together (80,000 kms), since then! It has been an integral part of my career-growth. Talking about loyalty, it has stood by me in the coldest of Delhi’s Winters (3-4 am) returning from relentless nights of work (where my eyelids would be forcibly shutting down) and during the hottest of Summers, for almost 4 years while I was working on the Delhi Tube. It has introduced me to every nook & cranny of Delhi. Four years into Delhi and I probably knew more about Delhi than the locals themselves who had spent their entire lifetime here. If a place has to be recced, you could do it best on a 2-wheeler.

3.What bike(s) do you ride now?
Arvind> My weekday ride is the 500 Machismo (upgraded the A350) and the weekend ride is the HD 883 Roadster.

4.Was it love at first sight or a product of long term research?
Arvind> It was infatuation (if not love) at first sight, considering my budget and the lineage of bikes that were within my reach. After narrowing down my options to the HD’s 883 series Sportster family, it was a matter of personal appeal on the 883R’s timeless & classic street-bike look. Performance-wise, they all had the same heart. Iron and 48 were not options then…

5.How many bikes have you gone through till the present one? Do list them.
Arvind> They’re just two: <1>A350 (2002) converted to 500 Machismo (2010) and <2> HD 883R (2010).

6.How long have you had this bike for and how many kilometers have you clocked.
Arvind> HD883R: Since Aug 2010, I’ve clocked around 7000+ kms on the odo.



7 How often do you ride – daily, fortnightly, monthly or just occasionally?
Arvind> Weekly.

8.What do you like most about your bike?
Arvind> The go-anywhere attitude and the time within which it can do it. It is nimble and effortless. The best part about superbikes is that they are the fastest things on the road. If there is a need, there is a road and you will be delivered, in time and gratification. You are the Superman of the Highways! (And Superman never bothers about rain/shine, Right? Wrong! This Highway Superman has to be totally “grounded”)

9. What don’t you like about your bike?Arvind>
A. The seating posture…It’s a P.I.T.A./P.I.T.B. after you touch the 3 digit distances. I’d prefer a much more comfortable seat with a back-rest for the long rides. The low-ground clearance, as well, is a concern.

10. What modifications have you made to your stock bike? Have these modifications helped/improved ride and handling of your bike?
Arvind> I’ve fitted it with a engine-guard and it should be mandatory on every such bike, unless, you machine is meant for the race track only.

11. Which is the best road in Delhi to ride?
Arvind> For a short sprint, I like the Dwarka-NH8 Under-pass Road. For a medium sprint, I prefer the NH8 (Delhi-Manesar road). For longer hauls, I like the NH1. You don’t have many options…

12. Tell us about an interesting experience on the road.
Arvind> Eye-Candy: This car pulled over from the side suddenly and cut across my path, coming to a screeching halt, forcing me to jam my brakes, as well! The first thought that came to my mind was to bludgeon the guy, but when he came out of the car, I could see that he was not able to control his excitement on seeing a HD. As if, he had seen the ghost of a HD, he kept on asking the same question again and again until I reassured him that it was a HD. He introduced himself as the owner of a local Gym and asked me to visit the place sometime. I thought to myself – “ One devil beckons the other!... and I have to be careful of what else might cross my path on the road.“

13. Do you ride in a club? Tell us about your club.Arvind>
A. Yes, with the HOODs & HOGs India. The former group is a small bunch of sorts. You have the Fun-loving Boyz, the Caring Gentlemen, the Audacious Veterans and the Rollicking Entertainers, all rolled into this one - an interesting lot! The latter group consists of basically all the HOGs of Delhi, C’garh and a few riders who ride other superbikes.

14.What has been your most memorable ride till date?Arvind> This would be from the HOODs ride from Delhi to Kasauli. On the last day when we started back for Delhi, I would race ahead of the pack, many times, on the winding roads of the hills, to find a spot for a few good shots, to pin them for posterity. While I would be waiting, in the early morning silence of the hills, I would hear the slow growl & rumble of the HDs approaching and when visible, the bikes would twist and turn on the hilly roads like a slow slithering & glittering monster, in the mountains. It was a sight to behold and what impressed me most was the discipline with which each rider was riding in the formation. That is the closest you could get to a spiritual “meditation on 2-wheels” experience, in the hills(or Himalayas), I guess!



15.What’s the maximum three digit figure you’ve seen on your speedo?
Arvind> 160 kmph.

16. Who maintains your bike – cleaning, servicing, etc?
Arvind> When it comes to regular cleaning, I do it myself and when it comes to servicing, I would rather leave it to the experts.

17.Have you faced any problems with your bike(s)? If yes how did you managed to rectify it?
Arvind> The horn is as good as not being there! I’ve got used to, not using it.

18.What fuel/oil do you use and why?
Arvind> Xtrapremium wherever I can.

19. Tell us about your riding gear (helmet, gloves and suits/jackets/pants and other protective gear)?
Arvind> I use the Standard Gear – Full-faced helmet, back-supporting jacket with shoulder/elbow protection, Knee pads, Riding shoes and Gloves. I had a fall once and the knee and elbow pads took the brunt of the tarmac, but there were no bruises.

20. Are you looking at changing your bike any time soon? If yes, what bike would you consider and why?
Arvind> I wish to have a bike for every occassion; perhaps one bike for every day of the week. I would like to add (not change) the following bikes, out of my “pocket-money”, in the order of preference mentioned below:
• Off-Roading: 1.BMW 1200GS Adventure and 5.Ducati Multistrada.
• Sports Tourer: 6. Suzuki Hayabusa & 3. Honda VFR1200
• Muscle Bikes: 2. Yamaha V-Max and 7. Triumph Rocket – III.
• Cruisers: 8. HD Streetglide, 4. HD Ultraclassic Electraglide or Honda Goldwing.

21. What’s does your ideal weekend look like?
Arvind>

Solo: Riding on Early Mornings, pleasant weather….the road up ahead unfurling itself,
without a soul to sight, at it’s cruising speed/sweet-spot, wherein your mind is just
floating and absorbing ideas from the surroundings…
“It takes more love to share the saddle than it does to share the bed. “
Formation: It feels great when riding in a formation, many bikes but one mind. I wouldlove to ride in silence for long distances over changing landscapes in total communion with others.
“Sometimes the best communication happens when you're on separate bikes.”

22. How do you answer the following questions
How much does it cost? What mileage do you get? Are you guys going for a race?

Arvind> Depends on who is asking. If it is out of genuine curiosity, I usually answer back with the facts. If it is some smart-aleck, I usually ignore them and if he gets belligerent, I ask him to go to the showroom.


23. Do you get irritated when people sit on your bike?
Arvind> No, as long as they do not mishandle it. In fact, I read their faces and I get amused by their curiosity, awe and disbelief. It’s good to see people’s face brightening in this ‘Ho-Hum’ world.

24. How has the experience at the dealership been so far.
Arvind> As with any start-up, they do have their short-comings and hence, I do not have too many expectations from them. In fact, I believe, prevention is better than cure, so I try to handle it such that I do not have to send it for any out-of-turn servicing. They are learning at our cost. But what is hopeless is the non-availability of the accessories and spares. This area is where the dealership has to smarten up its act.



25. What tips do you have for aspiring riders looking to pick up a Bike?
Arvind>
1> Irrespective of what experience you are looking for, on 2-wheels, it has to be
consciously approved by your inner self first. It is not a ‘heady’ statement, of
testosterone or adrenaline-rush; it is a disciplined hobby and if you want to ride
till your grey years, let the biker in you awaken first and let it make sensible
decisions for you.
2> If you have the heart to ride the CCs, discipline your heart first!
3> Safety is a switch in the head; if you do not turn it on before every ride, you are on a rendezvous with your fate, no matter what protective gear you wear! Every
time you breathe life into your machine, it could serve its’ master well or turn
against him, depending on the Mind’s safety switch status.
4> Quote the famous biker quotes –
• “Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.”
• “If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.”
• “Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling and
lived.”

2 comments:

  1. Just awesome! Its always great to read about an enthusiastic rider.
    Liked his experience with the gym owner ... \m/

    Keep rolling.. 0"0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rishi Agnihotri13 July 2011 at 20:36

    very sensible words, drive safe n have fun with you HD...

    ReplyDelete