Search This Blog

Monday 11 July 2011

25. Straight Talk- The real Indian Superbiker

My tryst with super-biking happened in a manner no different than how it happens to any 18 year old. I was usually armed with second hand info fresh out of a glossy auto mag. I vividly remember going crazy seeing the bhp figures increasing with every new model that hit the market year on year. Until I turned 23, the superbiker in me was relegated to just figures that I learnt by heart from the mags. I used to ride an ’82 Royal Enfield those days and I truly thought it was a super fast bike. Every time I downed a gear and wrenched the throttle, I swear I felt that tearing acceleration. Since this was my only frame of reference, I innocently believed that the superbikes might be a “little” faster than my Bullet. I’m sure many of you reading this post feel the same way about your existing sub 250 cc bikes also.

It was in 2003 that I finally got a pillion ride. What better bike than the mystical R1? The bike belonged to a mechanic buddy of mine and I can safely say that those ten seconds made me a believer. I cannot tell you what the feeling was. I mean I can but it would be no different than what you’ve read in the numerous auto mags. All I can say is that whatever notions I had on superbiking completetly changed post that ride. I found my humble Bullet to be a rather slow bike. Post that moment every cell in my body craved to own a sbk.

It finally happened seven years later. It sure was a long wait but It was worth it. The reason behind this post is an attempt to convince you that it does not take being born with a silver spoon to buy a superbike. Regular, middle income blokes can and usually are the people who end of being Indian Superbikers. This is not my imagination; I ride in a group that has almost fifty riders. Barring a few, everyone else has either saved up for a long time or bought the bike on installments.

The first hurdle to cross is of course, the budget. Well today we are living in perhaps the most interesting time as far as a biker is concerned. Every other day we get reports of a new company launching or an existing one bringing in new cheaper models. Now, one needs to ask himself which is the bike that would fall within his means. Let me take the cheapest bike as an example. For roughly five lakhs you could be the proud owner of a Ninja 650 by the time you turn 28.

Here is how it works.
Age 23 – graduate from college and apply for a professional course
Age 25- graduate from B-school or any other such stream
The minimum salary that someone earns once you begin work is around 4 to 5 Lacs a year. This would mean you take home approximately Rs 35,000 home every month. Make it a point to keep aside Rs 5000 every month for a bike fund in any instrument that gives you around 10% return on investment. By the time you turn 28 ( in three yrs) this amount would have touched 2 lacs. The bike companies understand that people are increasingly interested in opting to make a purchase through an auto loan. A certain company has already tied up with banks to offer loans to potential buyers.

Now that you have a capital of 2 Lacs, you need to take a loan of another 3 lacs. Keep in mind that you have been working for three years and your salary has now increased to close to 7 Lacs based on a healthy 10% increment year on year. Which means you are taking home close to 50,000 every month. A loan of 300,000 for 3 years at 11% interest will roughly come to close to Rs 10,000 every month. After paying of the EMI, you still have around 40,000 left for you every month and you’ll have a gleaming superbike parked in your home. There are a lot of If’s and But’s that must be going through your mind. All I can say is that I’m someone who bought my bike based on the above philosophy. If it worked for me I see no reason why it won’t work for you.

Friends of mine from B-school find it hard to believe that I invest 10,000 every month on a depreciating asset. I can’t agree more that a machine will always be a depreciating asset as far as pure monetary value is concerned, however hand on my heart, I can claim that this has been the most fruitful investment I’ve ever made. Super biking opened avenues that I never knew existed. I was new to Delhi when I bought my bike and I had less than five friends in the city. Today I have made some incredible friends who share the same passion. I’ve had the honour to ride bikes of my fellow club members and I can safely say that there are very few bikes left to ride. Each time I’m on the bike I get more than enough attention and all this for just 10,000?? I think it’s a steal.

The real super biker is one who worked hard to earn his ride. I’m sure there are many people out there who could walk into a store and buy the bike because they had the means to do it. I truly doubt if the same person would wake up at four AM on a Sunday when the whole world is fast asleep, to clean his bike and take it for a spin before the traffic makes it impossible. The real biker makes sacrifices everyday to live his super biking dream. Be it skipping that extra movie or having to decline an invite to party on a Saturday night or postpone that expensive purchase so as to ensure he has enough money for fuel and service.

I would encourage everyone to know that it’s a myth to believe that only the super rich can be superbikers. All you need is a strong desire and determination along with hard work. Have these three, I promise you that you’ll be on a bike in no time.
Until then ride safe and dream hard!

28 comments:

  1. Agree with you mate. Make your dream come true. Always remember the 3D's. DREAM DESIRE DETERMINATION. it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one totally agree with you Vijay - I almost went through the routine to buy my 2nd bike (the first one was funded by dad during college days). I waited close to 5 yrs to get my hands on my fireblade.
    My story goes like this - I took up a new job and showed my appointment letter after almost a week to my parents - reason I had a CA friend who helped me calculate a new salary structure which shows 10000 less salary P.M than the one which I was drawing - no one looks at my account statements so it was fairly easier for me to hide that. Now the real deal starts - i opened up another a/c and transferred 10K every month without fail over the next 5+yrs. I also invested that money so that it grows ;). At the end of 5yrs and 4 months I had close to 7 lacs in my pocket. Which still wasnt enough - thats when I told my dad about the money I saved up. He got a shock of his life that I have managed to save up that kinda money over 5 yrs just for a bike. He was always supportive as far as biking is concerned as he knew the way I ride. He was more than happy to give me the balance amount and VOILA 2 months later (3 June 2007) I was back to Superbiking - I got in touch with Doc (AGAIN - last time was in 2000 when i had my 400) to join in and I was there - rest they say is history. Since then its a morning ritual for me. If I miss 1 sunday - every one in the family comes to my room to ask me - if im ok and well ;)

    Gaurav Sharma

    ReplyDelete
  3. truly inspiring.. i must say... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it man.........it has inspired me all the more to get a sbk......nd d philosphy of urs has also given me a rough idea on hw to work thngs out........m gng to own a fireblade one fine day......ohh yus :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The real super biker is one who worked hard to earn his ride" . Perhaps one of the best pieces ever from GODS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys.. I hope this post would inspire riders to begin dreaming and one day be proud owners of a super bike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb read, bro...i'm following your footsteps ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Col Satya Tandon12 July 2011 at 11:22

    Hi Vijay,

    Your story has touched an emotional chord. Gone through the same boat but much longer. No one in my family ever had bikes leave alone super bikes. My Dad had a Lambretta Scooter before he purchased a Ambassador car. My craze for bikes started very early in life by around 5 or 6 years of age. I distinctly remember my room adorned with bike posters for years in Allahabad. My father was in Govt Service and we were an average middle class family. When I was in 8th std I started working as a help for mechanic in the neighbourhood repairing bullet motorcycles. No one in my family knew as it was only during my play time in the evenings. It started with fetching wrenches for my 'Ustaad' but in six months I could assemble the complete engine, tune carburetor, repair the front shock absorbers and the works. I used to save from my pocket money and buy bike magazines. There was no internet. I remember having read most of the bike repair books in my school library. There was no internet those days. When I was in the 9th std in 1974 I requested my Dad to buy me a Royal Enfield. They were aghast. He still had his Lambretta and my elder brother who was a Doctor had a Chetak Scooter. They all counselled me against the bike. However a couple of months and my father relented to spare me Rs 3000/- for my dream machine. It used to be a fortune in 1974. A new Bullet was costing Rs 9500/-. I went and bought an Army Disposal Royal Enfield from Cheoki, near Allahabad. It was a 1979 model. It came like junk to my House as it did not even have a stand and was rusted due to exposure at the depot. My parents thought that I have sunk their hard earned money and my brother smirked at me. It took 8 months of day and night labour in my own garage. I dismantled the whole machine and went myself to buy spares from the wholesale market at Kanpur. Modified the machine beyond recognition. Double silencers, Fabricated Alloy Wheels out of Radiator fans of truck, installed double cam and dual brakes in the rear, tinkered with the gear ratio to impart higher RPM at higher speed, saddle seats, RPM Meters, etc etc. When the bike came on road it was a rage and the talk of the town. I took up my first job as a night receptionist in a Hotel in Allahabad to earn enough to complete and run my bike. I had that first bike of mine all through college and my early Army Days till 2002. I traveled nearly all over the country and loved riding it. The feel of the wind blowing on your face, open stretch of good roads ahead and the rising sun was my dream holiday. But my quest for a more powerful machine was always there. It was in 1987 when I was posted at Deolali that I met a mutual friend who was into assembling Super Bikes. I rode Ninja ZX 10r and that was it!!!!!!!!!!! But family responsibilities prevented me from buying one earlier. My wife and kids have been very supportive and constantly encouraged me to buy my dream machine. My research of the options available for a superbike in India made me home on to Honda Blackbird 1100 XX. By 2004 I wanted no other. It was a Sports Tourer. Exactly what I needed. Thrill of Sports and suitable for long distance riding. I had to wait for another two years before I could find a good clean machine in my budget and voila I also became a Super Biker. The thrill of this machine is simply outstanding. I have done more that 2000 Km in one stretch on a couple of occasions and have loved every moment of it.

    It takes a lot of determination and passion to make your Dream a reality. I have been lucky. I thank God every day for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Col Satya,

    You deserve a much bigger spot on the blog. Next week lets profile you and your black bird.That comment was so from the heart.

    Vijay

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ the wanderer. the bike is closer than you think :)
    Vijay

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great encouragement to a student like me Sir.
    I'll make sure I save some money from my part time Job and save it so I could also own one mean machine in few years.
    Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Asad,

    Thank you for your comment.I'm glad you've been inspired. I wish you the very best in your endevour to buy a superbike. I'm sure its not too far away

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  13. who is the author of this post ? .

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. my story is not so different from yours.... Had to really work my ways out ..took me almost 8 years to get it but it's all worth it in the end ...excited to join GODS pretty soon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vijay,

    You are ready to publish the "Dummy's guide to Superbiking" now! Where was all this information when I had started earning, I wonder...

    This blogsite has opened a channel for all true riders to express their experiences and connect with the fraternity. Not very far from now, this blogsite will be a rider's bible...

    Col Satya: You seem to live for your passion. In fact, the passion is much larger in proportion than yourself and your existence is justified for keeping that fire burning. Nothing else matters...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks guys..I always believed that each biker has a profound story behind him. I'm doing my bit to get that story out. thanks Arvy, its the support from bikers like you who make this worthwhile..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful post there Vijay! Inspiring stuff like these keep my hopes alive that someday I too will have ONE in my garage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Expecting a part 2, 3 ,..... .. Most of them would have thought GODS guys would have been super-rich guys ,but your perspective opens up the light and thoughts . :)

    Keep posting .Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. thank you for your comments guys, I try to post two posts a week. Will do my best to give you more perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  20. reely inspiring.........well nw i cn undrstnd dat it reely tkes a lot of determination to b a super biker....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Abhishek Mazumdar23 July 2011 at 10:32

    Vijay,
    Its a great initiative you have taken, penning down the stories of real sbkers. Kudos man!!

    Concerning your post, just curious which bike did you finally buy? I guess, its the mighty YZFR1 itself, having gotten the pillion experience already. ;)

    As of myself, am a ordinary bloke, caught in the doldrums of life pririties and the bike in me has somewhat taken a back seat. however, cant just let it go away. I am trully and madly in love with the Honda middle weight CBR600F and aspire to own it someday. Wish HMSI has plans to bring middleweights soon.

    Eevery time i hear an inline 4 rumble and i go weak on my knees. Your story was inspiring and i have been saving up for long as well.

    Amen!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi Abhishek,

    Almost everyone I know woke up one morning and decided to just take the plunge. Sometimes in life you have to jump first and then think. I just went and bought the bike even when i truly knew that I did not have enough dough to buy it. I've taken a loan and I pay it off every month. The happiness I get by just looking at the bike makes me feel like it was more than worth it. I have a middle weight myself. The R1 is way too powerful for us in India.

    ReplyDelete
  23. dear sir i m in ma 3rd phase of education i.e doin mba n i drm from i dunnno how many years to own a sbk..... ur story has given me more moral support n a belief dat i can own one MARK MY WORDS SIR I WILL DEFINATELY WORK HARDER TO FULLFILL MY DREAMSS N IF EVERYTHING GOES WELL DEN I WILL BE PART OF G.O.D.S ONE DAY thnx alot sir for sharing your story for motivating a middle class bike enthusiast like me n many more....

    ReplyDelete
  24. dear sir i m in ma 3rd phase of education i.e doin mba.. a normal middle class guy i have a drm since i dont know wat age to buy a superbike i had a poster of cbr 1000 f in ma room i juz used to clean dat evryday wen i was in ma home town... i still drm to own one sbk but your story n guidelines has given me more motivation n believe dat being a middle class guy i can also buy one sbk i will now work even harder sir to fullfill ma drm n ONE DAY I WANT TO BE KNOWN AS A SUPERBIKER........... thanx a lot sir for sharing your story wid us to motivate me n many like me to pursuit a drm...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Shahid,

    Im sure you'll live your dream soon bro.. just be patient and dream hard

    ReplyDelete
  26. i truly agree with whatever's written by you Vijay.Gr8 one really.The way u've described how an ordinary guy shud start saving the dough to get to the level of superbiking is really amazing.I have a Ninja 250r which was bot just by saving in the same manner.And i intend to continue saving a little more finally to get myself a Harley or some other SBK...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi guys and gals, am looking for some inputs on superbikes and talking to some sports enthusiasts. Can we talk? My number is +91 9866774092. Please message me or respond to this blog post. Thanks... Sanjay

    ReplyDelete
  28. i am following you mate :) soon i'll also own one :D cheers

    ReplyDelete