Search This Blog

Thursday 2 June 2011

16. Dr Paul's Harley-Davidson Nightster,2010

Name: Dr Hemanth Paul
Age:51
Profession:Doctor
City:Delhi
Motorcycle club: Brotherhood Riding Club



1.When did you first put your legs over a bike, which one was it and who gave you your first lessons?
I was a 13 or 14 year old, when I used to spend my summer vacations with my cousins in Mysore> Mysore was a beautiful small town with lots of empty streets. My cousins owned two Yamahas, they must have been about 125 cc engines, but the thrill of being allowed to take the bike alone has always lived with me. I was probably foolhardiness or youthful exuberance, but I just hopped onto the bike and started riding!!


2.Which is the first bike that you owned. Tell us how you managed to buy and live with it?
The RD 350 was the first bike I owned, though I had the pleasure of ‘sponging’ of many friends including the Norton Twin Dominator, the beautiful Jawa! The RD was the only one of its kind in college hostel and I still remember every Sunday washing it down, spending time at the Yamaha garage with the mechanics! That’s when I learnt owning a bike is not about buying it but getting grease on your hands!

3.You stopped riding for a while? What made you do that?
The humdrum of family life gets to you and you forget, albeit for a short time, that life is too short to give up your passions. And I woke up one morning and decided to go out and buy myself a Harley!


4.What made you want to get back on the bike after the gap?
A personal loss, served as a strong reminder of the transience of life, and nothing goes with you. If you love it go after it!!

5.In all the choices available in India what made you go in for the Harley
The Harley has always been iconic! I am of the generation of ‘Easy Riders’! I could close my eyes and see the road, the stops by the road with a sleeping bag campfire and my Harley! I didn’t need to speed I wanted to make a statement to myself!



6.What makes the nightster so special?
I have a theory about men and bikes! Goes back to hundreds and thousand of years! Men rode horses; they were everything to man, transportation, war machines, and companions. Then came the automobile, but embedded in our genetic code has always remained the need to feel the wind, to ride!! The Nightster is a street bruiser not a cruiser! He is my ‘Sea Biscuit’! He is a small bike (1200 cc) with a big heart, he doesn’t know he is small; he can run with the biggest! There is nothing fancy about him just the bare essential riding experience! No fancy electronics or gizmos!!


7.How does your neighbor deal with the famous V twin growl?
It draws plenty attention, not just the neighbors but the dogs as well! The kids love the rides and I can see envy in their eyes!!


8.What is the kind of questions the public throws at you when they spot you on the bike?
The usual, cost, where is it made! The most rewarding experience was when I first picked up the bike from the showroom and was riding back at a traffic light an old auto rickshaw driver looked at the bike, his face light up with a toothless smile and he just said Harley!!! I immediately knew I had bought the best bike in the world.

9.How do you answers this those questions?
Depends on the situation, while riding many a time other bikers, cars pull along side and ask these questions!! Most irritating! When parked we all as a group love answering these questions! There is genuine curiosity and interest and we love that.



10.What about the nightster do you think Harley should improve and how?
Tubeless tires!!!! I am dreading the day I get stranded with a puncture!!

11.How has the bike changed you as a person?
I have met the most delightful caring bunch of fellow riders! I am not sure if that would have every happened if I hadn’t got the Harley. Rediscovered the thrill and pleasure of companionship again.

12.Who maintains your bike? How has the experience at the dealership been?
The routine maintenance I strictly do myself! No one dares even clean Sea Biscuit! The less said about the dealership the better! Efforts are being made but it surprising that HD India has taken so long to understand this business. There seems to be a lack of understanding that this is not just any premium vehicle they are selling! These machines mean more to the buyers (with exception’s!) than many things in life.

13.How is Delhi roads/climate suited for the nightster?
Actually the roads in Delhi are pretty good especially early mornings in winters! Summers are a challenge but have you every ridden through a dust storm……its something else!

14.What’s the best road the bikes been on?
Rajasthan roads!!! Great roads, low population density and rugged terrain!!

15.If you plan on getting another bike which one would it be?
Tough one! But I have other plans!!! In the off chance of a windfall then probably a big cruiser!



16.How expensive is it to maintain a H-D?
Pretty bullet proof (so far! Fingers crossed!) but what does cost a lot of money are the accessories!!

17.Do smaller capacity bikers on the street challenge you, if yes how do you deal with it?
Smile and let them through!! We know what’s going on between those ears! Never respond with aggression!

18. where do you park you bike? how do you react when people fiddle with it?

Behind the house in an enclosed area but always under covers... would never want anyone fiddling with it!! But actually most neighbors are in awe of the bike and almost never touch it! Maybe its just a decent neighborhood!! :-)

19. what speeds have you seen on the speedo?

I am a pretty conservative biker, besides this is not a speed super bike...generally between 100 to 140 kms on empty stretches, but no pride in hitting high speeds for me. Its the pleasure of the ride. One of a greatest ride we had was as a group of 10 Harleys riding in tight formation at 90-100 on a cold winter morning for a 50 kms stretch.....a spiritual experience!! Its amazing how biking like that we are separated as individuals yet completely connected to each other as a group, every move anyone makes impacts the whole formation!!!



20.Do you think everyone can own a bike one day? How do you think they can do it?
Nah! Big bikes are not for everyone. It is tragic to see some Harley owners using their bikes as status symbols. Besides the power in these bikes can make them very dangerous if uncontrolled. Every time I have ridden I have learnt something new about the bike. How it handles, my own limitations, where I can and can’t push the envelope. Big bikes mean big responsibilities….. drinking and riding are a big no no for us as is aggression on the roads.

7 comments:

  1. Very Well said, Doc, as alwasy. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Doc !!

    "Inches make the champion."
    -- Vince Lombardi

    WOW !! JPS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks JPS, much of it is your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an outstanding article! As a die-hard Harley 2017 Softail Slim enthusiast, I simply can't ignore the undeniable truth that this bike has shattered all expectations and surged way beyond the ordinary. It's like Harley-Davidson took the rulebook and decided to rewrite it with a stroke of pure genius.

    ReplyDelete