Search This Blog

Monday 13 June 2011

19. Alfred's Suzuki GSX-R Hayabusa 2010

Name: Alfred Adebare AKA SNIPES
Age:
Profession: Corporate Law
Motorcycle Club:G.O.D.S



1.When was the first time you ever “threw a leg over the saddle”?
I must have been about 12 years old. I hitched a ride with a friend who “hired” the bike for 3 laps around a football field. I didn’t get to ride a bike on my own until much later 

2.Describe your experience.
My first ride alone was fearful to say the least. I had no riding experience whatsoever. I thought since I could drive a car, heck, I could ride a bike. That crazy logic didn’t work. I remember grabbing the brakes in a death grip and getting dumped on the road fast. But I also remember the brief rush of adrenaline and sense of flight just before crashing.

3.When would you say you got “hooked” on to biking and why?
I have a cousin who was a keen biker. He would ride everyday and, of course, I admired him, like everybody else. He once gave me a ride on his Kawasaki 1000 – that was a different high. The rush of the wind had tears streaming down my face and my heart was pounding about a foot away but then I knew I had to get me one of those.

4.What was your first bike?
It’s ironic. In 2001, I was hospitalized for work related stress and the doctor prescribed lots of rest, exercise, etc. I got out of hospital and immediately bought a Kawasaki ZX 9R as a stress buster. That was my first bike.

5.Was it your choice or just what you could afford?
In those days it was what was available in the market. I was fortunate to come across the ZX 9R on short notice. It was an excellent machine that I kept for about 3 years.

6.What bike(s) do you ride now?

Suzuki Hayabusa GXR1300



7.Was it love at first sight or a product of long term research?
I have to admit that it had nothing to do with love. Again, it had to do with what is legally available in India in the supersport category and in a reasonable price range. I settled on the Busa after a lot of research between the Busa, the Blade and the Gixxer. I didn’t consider the R1 since they wouldn’t allow a test ride and the Ducati 1198 was way too expensive.

8.How many bikes have you gone through till the present one?
Just 2

9.What modifications have you made to your stock bike?
I changed the stock cans to Vance & Hines CS1. Other than the cans, other modifications are cosmetic – chrome bar ends, chrome reservoir oil caps, gold plated front pegs, frame crash sliders, and swing arm slider spools.

10.Have these modifications helped/improved ride and handling of your bike?
Personally, I don’t think the Busa needs any improvement. The Vance & Hines cans announce my arrival much before I am seen.



11.How long have you had the bike for and how many kilometers have you clocked.
About 11 months now. Clocked about 4,000km

12.How often do you ride – daily, fortnightly, monthly or just occasionally?
I would ride every day if I could but traffic is too chaotic. I ride mostly Sundays.

13.What do you like most about your bike
I know a lot has been written about the Busa but the white Busa looks magnificent (beauty is in the eye of the beholder). It reminds me of a white horse, charging down on you in traffic and I am the knight in shining armour 

14.What don’t you like about your bike?
Nothing.

15.What has been your most memorable ride till date?
GOD’s Republic Day ride – January 26, 2003 – on NH8 Jaipur Highway. About 26 bikes. Very light traffic. Hardly any trucks. Tearing down the highway in formation, the roar of the bikes was deafening and awesome. Incredible feeling too.



16.What’s the maximum three digit figure you’ve seen on your speedo?
260. I thought I was in a sci-fi movie.

17.Who maintains your bike – cleaning, servicing, etc?
I love cleaning and polishing my bike. Servicing is done by the authorized Suzuki dealer.

18.Have you faced any problems with your bike?
Thankfully none. Otherwise Suzuki will be hearing from my lawyer 

19.What do you recommend regarding maintenance?Do your weekly checks - tyre pressure, tyre tread depth, oil levels, petrol, electronics, seals and most importantly the brakes and discs. Remember Delhi is too dusty so keep your chains clean as well. If your bike is parked out in the open, get a cover. Always keep your bike clean.

20.Tell us about your riding gear (helmet, gloves and suits/jackets/pants and other protective gear)?
Helmets: Arai RX7, Caberg
Jackets: RS Taichi Jacket, Speed and Strength Under the Radar Jacket,
Gloves: RS Taichi Gloves, Alpinestar Gloves,
Pants: Alpinestar Air-Flo pants
Boots: Alpinestar Octane Riding boots

And of course, my deadly smile.

21.Is your riding gear effective?

I hope I don’t have to crash test it but I’d say it is effective against the elements. Good quality gear is always recommended in winter or summer. You never know when you take a spill.

22.Are you looking at changing your bike any time soon?
No. My wife supports me fully on this decision.



23.If yes, what bike would you consider and why?
If I were to consider any other bike, it has to be the Kawasaki Ninja ZX 10R or the BMW S1000RR.

24.What tips do you have for aspiring riders looking to pick up a super sports bike?

Get your bike and lets ride!!! On a serious note, you need to be aware that riding involves certain elements within your control, for example, knowing what your bike likes and doesn’t like, and others that are outside your control, for example, stray cattle/pedestrians/pebbles. Combine these elements with the power bottled up in these bikes, and you know you need to be extra careful when riding. Skill counts for a lot but safe riding is paramount.

3 comments:

  1. Am a 24 year old pharmaceutical technologist from Nairobi Kenya, n man, you aspire me.I don't have a bike yet but am hoping to buy one soon.how can you help or advice?
    ken, kkoigi@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alfred's Suzuki GSX-R Hayabusa is an absolute beast! By the way, if anyone in Bairnsdale is thinking of parting ways with an old vehicle, you might want to consider connecting with "car wreckers Bairnsdale" for a convenient and eco-friendly way to handle it. Ride on! ๐Ÿ️๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete