Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 June 2011

21. Sid's Ducati Monster 796, 2011

Name: Sid
Age:37
Profession:Architect
Motorcycle Club: G.O.D.S



1.When was the first time you ever “threw a leg over the saddle”? What was the feeling like?
The first time I threw a leg over the saddle was in class six on our Bajaj 150, though I didn’t take it anywhere but still generated the sound effects. Few years later, I had my first ride on it. The feeling was just exhilarating.
Before I boarded the scooter for the first time, I knew there was a clutch, accelerator and brake. It was also clear what their function was, however when on the saddle for the first time, the theory didn’t mean much. I tested each of the three items and ended up with a wheelie, accelerating so fast that needed my feet on ground to keep balance and then the brake when I almost popped in front.
The second time was far more controlled, and I started to enjoy the wind on my face and hair. This feeling was liberating. Ever since then I have been fascinated with riding the two-wheeled stallions.

2.What was your first bike? Was it your choice or just what you could afford?
My first bike was a Suzuki Shogun. This was the incentive for qualifying thought a competitive exam into a professional course. Yup the bike was my choice as I needed something with a good pickup and looks! I still remember, the run-in period I completed within 8 days.

3.What bike(s) do you ride now?
I ride a Ducati Monster 796.

4.Was it love at first sight or a product of long term research?
The Monster has fascinated me since it was launched about 10 years ago, however the choice to own one was completely logical.
Since January last year, I had been searching for the right bike within a specific riding style, budget and performance. It was imperative that the bike has an upright riding posture, powerful, sexy and nimble in traffic.
After reviewing several bikes, the choices narrowed down to Honda CB1000r, Harley Davidson 883R and Ducati Monster 796.
After riding the Monster 1100 at the showroom, it was clear I didn’t need to look any further. This was the bike I was looking for.

5.How many bikes have you gone through till the present one? Do list them.
Up till now I have ridden Bajaj 150, Suzuki Shogun, RD 350, Pulsar 180

6.How long have you had this bike for and how many kilometers have you clocked.
I have had this bike for the last 6 months. It has clocked about 3500 km


7.How often do you ride – daily, fortnightly, monthly or just occasionally?
I ride about 2-3 days in a week.

8.What do you like most about your bike?
I love my bike as a total package. It is fast, nimble and sexy.

9.what don’t you like about your bike?
Nothing.

10.What modifications have you made to your stock bike? Have these modifications helped/improved ride and handling of your bike?
I have added a K&N air filter, Akrapovic Exhaust, Rizoma Fender Eliminator and Rizoma LED Turn Indicators. The air filter and exhaust have improved the performance of the bike. The indicator and fender eliminator have extenuated the naked look.
Simply speaking the Monster just got meaner.


11.Which is the best road in Delhi to ride?
There are quiet a few stretches in Delhi where I enjoy riding. To name a few, it would be DND via Barahpulla Stretch through till Greater Noida, Ridge Road & NH8 through to Gurgaon. GT road and Shanti Path.

12.Tell us about an interesting experience on the road.
Like all super bikers, I have also had my share of interesting experiences on the road. Out of these, the following two stand out.
It was the week after I had taken delivery of the bike and was crossing the Gurgaon Toll, the Guard at the toll approached me with curiosity and asked the ususal, kitne ki hai, kitna deti hai and then konsi bike hai, I answered most in questions directly and then when I told him it is a Ducati, he was surprised and said “I didn’t know there was a bike for Dakaiti (Dacoits)”. Till such time I also never realized how close was Ducati to Dakaiti… and thought it would need a Dakaiti to get the premium Ducati Desmocedici!!
The second was a guy who followed me all through Chanakya puri in a Honda CRV probably filming the bike. Soon at one of the round-abouts he pulled up and asked me to just let him hear the sound of the engine, as we drove together, him with his windows down. I did reciprocate his request and then moved on.

13.Do you ride in a club? Tell us about your club..
I ride with G.O.D.S. (Group of Delhi Superbikers), a club led by Dr. Arun (Speed) Thareja. A fraternity of like minded riders. We ride every Sunday morning.

14.What has been your most memorable ride till date?
My most memorable ride was in class 11th when a very close friend of mine bought 2 RD 350’s and four of us rode from my school to home a total stretch of about 7.5 km in 12 minutes at 9 am.

15.What’s the maximum three digit figure you’ve seen on your speedo?
Little over 200.


16.Who maintains your bike – cleaning, servicing, etc?
I myself clean my bike. The last service was at the Ducati dealership. The next one is still 6 months away.

17.Have you faced any problems with your bike(s)? If yes how did you managed to rectify it?
No problems till now. Fingers and toes crossed for the future.

18.What fuel/oil do you use ?
I use Shell / Motul synthetic oils and Speed 97 Octane fuel.

19.Tell us about your riding gear (helmet, gloves and suits/jackets/pants and other protective gear)?
Helmet - AGV and Shark, Jacket – Ducati & Tour Master, Gloves - Fox & Dainese, Knee and Elbow guards - Fox.

20.Are you looking at changing your bike any time soon? If yes, what bike would you consider and why?
No chance, I am going to hold on this one for some time to come.

21.What’s does your ideal weekend look like?
A nice ride in morning, breakfast with G.O.D.S, lunch with family, siesta, evening with friends and Movie / Dinner with family….

22.How do you answer the following questions:
How much does it cost? Pass…………



23.What mileage do you get?
Actually close to 20 kmpl. To public on traffic signal: Huh…………

24.Are you guys going for a race?
Naah…………

25.What tips do you have for aspiring riders looking to pick up a super sports bike?
There a lot of good bikes to choose from, pick yours diligently.
Once this is done, ride responsibly as a lot of lives depend on you.

5 comments:

  1. wow man ! best choice ! i dream about this bike everyday ! .. would like to have a conversation with you !

    regards
    deepaul

    deepaul.com
    http://www.facebook.com/deepaulonline

    ReplyDelete