Search This Blog

Monday 20 June 2011

20.Hemant's Victory Vision

Name: Hemant Sahai
Profession: Lawyer
Motorcycle Club: Free Riders Motorcycle Club
City: Delhi


1. When did you first ride a bike and who gave you your first lessons of biking?
I rode my first motorcycle when I was 15 or 16 years old - an army bullet ......... My Father being a Fauji, I was always fascinated with the beautiful Fauji bullets and we saw lots of them in the cantonments. The young Army officers always had Yezdi bikes - to distinguish themselves from the Fauji Bullets.

In those days, the choice was only between a Bullet, Yezdi or Rajdoot. The Bullet had a somewhat tougher image being associated with the armed forces and police, therefore, for a young person - college kid or young fauji officer, it had to be a Yezdi - which had the image of being a "cool" bike.

For me, the choice was always clear - the Bullet was rugged, tough and Macho. I was always fascinated by the mechanical compelxity of the Bullet compared to the Yezdi. I was always convinced I was going to ride a Bullet one day ..............

Many years later, one of my elder cousin brothers who was a doctor with the army, bought a brand new Bullet and when I saw it, it was love all over again. That's when I resolved to get one for myself.


2. What was your ride when you were in college? how did you get your hands on it?
The first bike that I owned was a Bullet 350 - I still have the bike, though of course it has gone through multiple avatars and iterations. Currently its a Batmobile ..... All black, twin exhaust, low slung and mean looking. At different times it has been through war paint, camo paint ...... And its still evergreen.

I got the bike when I was in Law School ..... Rather late, but the environment at that time was very different. This was 1985 .....

Earlier, during college days, I used to borrow a Yezdi from one of the lucky guys in my hostel who owned the bike. Owning a bike in those days was a rare thing. Not only was it expensive, bikes were not easily available. This is the times of the Licence Raj ..... Bullet, Yezdi and Rajdoot were the only bikes available, one had to book a new bike and wait for years for the booking to mature and second hand bikes were not easily or readily available or were more expensive than new bikes ....... Strange considering today's scenario.

Getting my first Bullet was quite a challenge and required great perseverance from my side. When I started the topic of owning a bike, there was all round condemnation and dissuasion. My father was non committal and mom was not encouraging. My father's elder brother also got into the act when he heard I wanted a Bullet and tried very hard to dissuade me ...... "Bullet is a Doodhwala's bike ..... Get a scooter instead" I of course laughed at him.

By that time, I was very clear what I wanted to do with my bike. I had already planned long trips in the Hills. My inspiration was this article that I had read in a National Geographic when I was in Class 12th .... Riding a Harley thorugh Alaska. That was my dream, that was my goal and therefore, I realised very early, I was a cruiser guy. I was looking forward to riding a big, strong bike through rugged and difficult terrain, the Himalayas to start with.

I bought the 1980 bullet from one of my cousins ...... After months of convincing my father to give me the Rs 11,000 needed for it. That was a lot of money at that time and being in college I couldn't even dream of earning that kind of money in those days. Just to put things in perspective - this was in mid 1985 ............... Most of the youngsters today cannot even relate to this I am sure.

Finally the bike arrived, and my travels and adventures too.




3. what does a bike mean to you when you were 21 VS when you're 45

NOt much has changed .... The bike was a means of adventure for me when I was 21 and today it still remains the same. My bike was never a commuter bike for me - though of course I did use it as a daily commuter even when I started working. By the time I started working, the market was flooded with the new Japanese 100 CC bikes, but I never switched to one. I held on to my Bullet 350, and drove it to office every day till much later when I finally bought myself my first 4 wheeler - which by the way was a Tatamobile pick up truck. The pick up truck was another chapter to my adventure days ...... I was the only guy driving it in town and I drove it to the High Court (I am a lawyer and worked in the Delhi High Court those days) everyday.

Being a biker has been and will continue to be a reflection of my personality ..... risk taker and non conformist

I bring some of these qualities to everyday life and to my work place too.

4. how many bikes do you own and if you have to pick a favourite what would it be?
I own 10 bikes today - 4 different Bullets including my first Bullet 350, Bullet Machismo 500, the original Bullet 500 and the new Bullet 500CC classic.

In addition, I own 2 Harleys (Fat Boy, Night Rod special), Valkyrie (1960's vintage), Honda Rune, Triumph Rocket (2300 CC, world's largest production bike) and Victory Vision.

Each one of my bikes is unique and is a classic in its own right. While I may ride different bikes for different occasions, I cant single out any one as my favourite.

The Victory Vision is comfortable and ideal for long rides (I have driven it to Jaisalmer, up in the Hills and long distance cruises on several occasions).

The Nightrod is quick and loud and beautiful to ride.

The Triumph Rocket has a lot of torque and is one of the most incredible bikes one can ride.

The Rune - very quick, very good looking - has been described as James Bond in a Tuxedo. I have hit 260 Kmph on this bike on several occasions.

The Fat Boy is a classic and has a very different feel. It is the Bullet of US - it can be modified, chopped re done in many different ways - yet the ride experience is unique.

The Valkyrie was the supercruiser of the 1960's and its classic shape and large dimensions are a sight to behold.


5. How did you come to know about the Vision and how did it get to India?
I got the bike through a friend of mine who lives in US and also in India - he is a fellow biker, Laxman, who rides a Fat Boy. I first saw pictures of it and then researched it on the net .... It was love at first sight.

6. tell us a little about the Vision

The Victory Vision is the ultimate cruiser in my view.
Longer than a Maruti 800, it weighs in at 625 Kgs - its a beast but is surprisingly smooth and easy to handle

Loaded with technology - ABS, Cruise Control, GPS, built in music (radio, I pod connectivity) heated seats and grips ...... The list is long. Only thing missing is airconditioning but this was built for US which is essentially a cold country.

1800 CC V - 4 stroke twin engine - has a beautiful thump and the rugged feel of a V Twin. Somehow the in-line engines cannot provide the same experience (even though they are quicker).

Surprisingly maneuverable despite its bulk and dimensions, I have done knee scraping leans on hair pin bends up in the hills.

Being a V Twin engine speed is not its forte - rather endurance is what its all about. Notwithstanding that, I can consistently clock 160 kmph for long miles, without any signs of engine exhaustion or tiring. The 1800 CC twin block throws out consistently high torque and 90 plus BHP.

The 6 speed gearbox connects to a belt driven final drive

Its a stunning looker - guaranteed eye balls


7. whats the best attribute of the bike?
Its very comfortable to ride and is surprisingly agile


8. whats the part of the bike you'd like to change/improve?
Perhaps a more powerful engine. Remember I ride a 2300CC bike too


9. If she leans to the side can you pick it up on your own, or do you need help?
It is designed to be lifted by one person - if it leans over, it will rest on two aesthetically designed pegs, and one person can lean against the bike with his back and push it up - requires a lot of effort though and multiple hands will always be helpful. Fortunately, so far I have not had the occasion to test this.


10.how do the public react when they see the bike?
There is a medley of reactions - the first is obviously awe at the size and dimensions of the bike, followed by joy at seeing something so unique in real life and then a string of questions. People want to touch it, some brave souls also want to sit on it.


When I drive past, people scream out, beg me to stop for a moment to be able to see the bike closer, and of course people in other vehicles start chasing the bike, and drive up close to get a better look.



11.how do you answer the following
What mileage do you get?
I answer truthfully - 10 - 12 KMPL



12.Whats the price of the bike?
I avoid the question and encourage them to ask about its technical specs. This is a USD 25,000 bike in the US

13. Tell us about your club. when and how did you join it?

I am part of a fantastic group of Bikers - we call ourselves the FRMC - Freeriders Motorcycle Club. We are around 20 Bikers with some very interesting bikes. While primarily we are a cruiser bike group, we do have some fantastic sports bikers.

I have been part of FRMC for the last 5 years and have met some great people in the Club. Bikers live by a certain creed which they tend to follow even in their lives beyond biking. Its a fact that only like minded people tend to get together and stay together. We have seen several people join the club but not last very long. Today FRMC consists of a core set of bikers who are committed to biking and we all have something in common - passion for bikes being one of them. The members of FRMC come from very different backgrounds but are bound by the Club.


14.whats the best roads in delhi/ India to take the Vision

Clearly the Vision comes into its elements with long uncluttered roads. So rides in Rajasthan have been the most memorable on this bike.

The drive to Jaisalmer through Bikaner or Jodhpur is by far the most dramatic in terms of road quality, terrain and drive experience. Similarly, the drive to Deogarh/Udaipur is also stunning.

My favourite ride continues to be in the hills where too the Vision has performed impeccably - the road to Nainital from Corbett and thereafter from Nainital to Mukteshwar is my personal favourite.





15.have you run into any electrical/mechanical troubles? if yes how did you rectify it?
So far thankfully no major faults. There have been a few minor issues with the brake system once - it required bleeding and topping up of brake oil. No major electrical or mechanical faults - the bike is built tough.

Once I hit a large piece of rock which had fallen off a truck and was in the middle of the road - the bike was literally airborne for some time and when I landed the bike was rock solid and stable. But the front rim had busted. I had to order a new rim from the US - but that was not such a problem and replacing it was also not an issue.



Generally the regular maintenance is hassle free and things like filters and oil changes are not a problem.



16.who maintains the bike- service etc?
I have a wonderful engineer who looks after all my bikes - he has read up the technical and workshop manuals of the bikes and is generally very good at identifying faults and rectifying them efficiently.


17. Where do you park the bike?
At home in my driveway, with my other bikes


18. Do people fiddle with it when you park it? how do you tackle this?
Yes people will touch the bike, climb onto it and fiddle around with switches. One generally tries to find secure parking where at least an attendant is available and in any event, when the FRMC bikers are out on a long trip, we have back up cars with us and the drivers look after the bikes when parked.

Generally I don't have a problem looking at the bike and getting to savour the experience, the concern only is that if not supervised then people tend to get carried away and they may either drop the bike or damage some part or worse, injure themselves. So I generally allow people to check out the bike under supervision.


19 Decribe a memorable incident on the Vision
The drive into Lansdowne - its a small village and all the superbikes descending into the village was a surreal experience - the local people and children obviously felt that aliens had descended into their village. The Vision was of course the mothership and practically the whole village had come down to see the bikes.



20. Which is the best cruiser for Indian conditions

All cruisers by definition are large bikes, and therefore, my advice is that every person need to figure out the bike that he is comfortable with. The appropriate bike is one that a person is comfortable riding and maneuvering. Thereafter, the so called Indian conditions don't mean anything. I have ridden the Vision in very crowded and congested areas and have managed it very well. Ultimately, the pleasure of riding a cruiser is out on the highway and therefore, it should be big, heavy and powerful. This ensures a comfortable ride for long distances ............. Go out and burn the miles.




21.Whats the max speed you've seen on the speedo of the Vision
The maximum speed that I have clocked on the Vision is 170 Kmph - but it can do 160 KMph for miles without a break


22. Is there any other bike on your radar now?


The Boss Hoss - 8000 cc V8 engine.


23. tell us about your riding gear
Very particular about riding gear - one cannot afford to cur corners on this.

Helmet - I have several but all of them are full face for protection not just in a potential crash but also for riding comfort at high speeds so one doesn't lose attention and control on the bike. I have KBC and Joe Rocket Helmets.

Riding Jacket - Full Armour - Joe Rocket leather, Harley Davidson Leather.

When its too hot - separate armours for elbows and forearms, full body Armour

Gloves - leather, armoured on knuckles, fingers and wrists

Trousers - biking trousers with built in knee and hip Armour from Joe Rocket. When wearing jeans - separate knee and shin armours

Footwear - Joe rocket ankle high riding boots with built in Armour. Usually I use leather, knee high horse riding boots or fighter aircraft pilot boots - they are stylish and provide an old world - WWII fighter pilot image.



24. Can you customise the vision or is it already loaded
This one is pretty much loaded -I changed the exhausts to flow through, gun shot exhausts that are louder. I am planning to add a reverse gear - which is standard in later models but can be added on to the older models.

25. whats you advice to aspiring riders

Get onto a bike and experience it first hand. Its never too late to get onto one.

Love your bike and don't have any preconceived notions about any bike - each is unique and all are wonderful in their own ways.

4 comments:

  1. So its just about 25lacs if bought thru legal channel. But since Polaris aint got any presence so this bike & likes would have been brought thru grey channel ... not at all impressive for its price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bike is awesome. somehow the pictures dont do justice to it. I've seen it live and its impressive. Polaris is setting shop in India but I doubt if they would find buyers for this bike. More over it would be over 30L in India, thats my guess

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your blog, thanks for sharing such blog. Waiting for more such post . Looking for a Bike on rent in Goa , go through the link below.......

    Bike Rental in Goa
    Rent a Bike Goa

    ReplyDelete