Search This Blog

Thursday 9 June 2011

18. Shiv's Suzuki M1800 Intruder

Name: Shiv Raj Singh
Age:
Profession: Travel Industry
Motorcycle Club: F.R.M.C ( Free Rider Motorcycle Club)



1.When was the first time you ever “threw a leg over the saddle”?what was the feeling like?

I was about 9 years old when I slid behind the wheels of a car and within 4 months was manoeuvring a 1 ton army truck by the wheel myself. My feet wouldn’t reach the pedals hence I was given access to the wheel alone. At the age of 12 I was riding the Enfield. Dad being in the army did have its priviledges. The Enfield is a very heavy bike and for a young kid it was show-down time.

2. What was your first bike? Was it your choice or just what you could afford?
It was the Kawasaki Bajaj RTZ. My own choice. I still remember my Dad shelling out some Rs 15,000 for it way back 1987. For that money he could have done plenty otherwise. But he did it as that brought a huge smile on his Son’s face.

3.What bike(s) do you ride now?

The M1800 Intruder and The Hayabusa

4.Was it love at first sight or a product of long term research?

Well my first super bike was the Suzuki Boulevard (Intruder in India). Having grown up watching the Harleys as the most meanest-biggest machines. It was obvious to research the Harley. But their prices were horrendously high, given the fact that duty would need to be paid, besides the freight and freight Insurance. That turned out to be a blessing. I had heard of Superbikers in Delhi, but they were like the wind, you knew they were there, but had no clue how to go about reaching them or sourcing a bike. Then the name GODS fell on my ears. Im talking way back in 2002-2003.. But the GODS were as elusive as your super stars and why not as well. They were setting standards to modern superbiking in the Country. So the GODS remained elusive till 2007 for me. Eventually fell upon the name of KRP and then some dealer at Mumbai. But the story was that all the bikes were grey market ones, so I stayed off from the deals. I then ventured to Mumbai to see a Kawasaki Vulcan, something I had wanted as that had the look of a Harley and the power of Jap bike. There too it turned out that the papers were not in proper order. It was here that I was also shown an Intruder, which at first look didn’t satisfy my innerself, as it didn’t have the making of a Cruiser. Cruisers for me at that stage meant the classical old school time machines. I was soon to be enlightened. I was on a Business trip overseas in May-June 2007 that a good friend Rajiv informed me that the Government has laxed the regulations on the import of bikes. Anything above an 800 cc could now be legally imported. So I took my return flight from Europe back to India via Dubai. I went to Harley showroom, it was still expensive and so I ventured into a Yamaha showroom and had finally set my eyes on a V Star. Checked amount to be paid, freight time and charges, clearances procedures etc etc. Came back next day to make the payments, unfortunately (fortunately for me tho..) the driver, a brilliant Paki fellow, who knew the sands of Dubai like the palm of his hand or the wrinkles on his face, took a turn too early to exit and we ended up just on the side of the showroom and from there it was a one way drive. So I asked him to park and said I would happily walk. As I approached the showroom from one side there was this Suzuki showroom there staring at me and I said, what the heck, I know what im buying, lets see what these losers have to offer. And lo there was the Intruder staring at me. I sat on it and I was transformed. The Yamaha has just been beaten in sheer strength and beauty of the machine from Suzuki. I called my wife Payal. (God works in mysterious ways). She was ecstatic (for the fact that I had decided on what to buy and was happy for me more than my choice of the bike). But I had to take a clearance from my son Eklavya, all of 6 years as to what colour it would be. He demanded a Red and the deal was sealed. I had the dream of my life coming true. This was the first bike (to my knowledge) to be duty paid and legally bought in, as the imports had just been started by the Government. The next 5 days were gonna be hell, as I couldn’t sleep till the air freight machine arrived. .




5How many bikes have you gone through till the present one? Do list them.
Kawasaki Bajaja RTZ, Enfiled 500, Enfiled 500, Yezdi, Enfiled 500, Suzuki intruder, Hayabusa and finally another Hayabusa.

6.How many kilometers have you clocked?
Around 22,000 kms

7. How often do you ride – daily, fortnightly, monthly or just occasionally?
If the weathers good I ride to the Gym Tue-Sat. Sunday is the club ride. Summer time is mostly a Sunday ride or max a midweek evening ride. Sunday is by far the most important day of our lives. I know a lot of riders who plan their work around a Sunday at Delhi with their clubs. This is the de-stresser.

8.What do you like most about your bike?
Its the most powerful Sports cruiser ever. When you ride beside it you realise its like a comet coming at you with sheer speed and strength. Its lines are amazing. Great Torque so easy accellaration.

9.What do you not like much on the bike?
handling her on broken roads can be a nightmare because of its sheer weight and rear Tyre size


10. What modifications have you made to your stock bike? Have these modifications helped/improved ride and handling of your bike?
I’ve got Cobra pipes (fish swept pipes). I’ve got an alarm system loaded on it. I’m using an oversize 250 rear Tyre for challenging the bike on curves and leans. I’ve put air checkers on the tyre valves, so I know if the tyre pressures low or normal, so it avoids regular checkups at the Air Station. I’m also using Ride on solution in both Tyres, so that while riding tyres don’t blast and tear up due to a Puncture situation. So long as you ride, you are fine and dnt have to stop for repairs. I’ve infact rideen with a nail in my rear tyre for over 6 months, with just having to fill up air every 2 weeks, nothing more. I’ve also changed the foot-pegs on the bikes and also the handle grips. I’m using after market designer stuff, which adds to the full chrome finish on the bike and makes it look modern and up there.

11.Which is the best road in Delhi to ride?
Within the city the embassy area is excellent for good leans and stuff and so are the ridge roads. For some good straight lines you have the Rajpath. But if you are early riser (which all riders are) all roads are good, open and empty when we are riding.



12.Tell us about an interesting experience on the road..

There was this one guy with his girl in a car at Saket. And I didn’t realise that they were chasing me. I slowed down at a breaker and this guy comes screeching up my ass. He almost banged into me. We exchanged words. He got out of the car and I said to myself, this is it, this is definitely coming down to fists and im the last one to fight anyway, but when it comes to my Bike, theres no questions asked, you go for it. The guy gets out of the car and I say are you insane, what were you doing. He says, I love big bikes, I wanted to catch up and ask you if I o ride the bike. I didn’t know whether to break his face or laugh at him. I made him understand that he had made a mistake and could have caused a bad crash. He said sorry, but still insisted on his riding for a short time. Which guys in all earnestness meant, I could take his woman and his car for a ride on the bike. I think we can all drop our imaginations here. I took off...with the Bike Ofcourse...you dirty minds !!!!!!!!

13.Do you ride in a club? Tell us about your club..
When I started riding the Boulevard, I thought I was the God of riding and nobody possessed a bike bigger and meaner than mine. The others were mere mortals. I was soon to be awakened and rudely so. I soon met a Bunch of cruisers. I was’nt the only one with a 1800 cc engine under my sweet arse. But then riding as a Team was even more fun. Being a hardcore Cruiser in my heart, we set about the FRMC Club or the Free Riders Motor cycle Club. Yes a Bunch of us got together and started this Club. Which is very active and alive. This is the Family you didn’t have. So we are all now very close and stick together. Earlier friends have taken a back seat to the new ones. Trips are planned keeping this in mind. Albeit a Cruiser Club in its soul, we do have many a sports superbikes in our Club aswell.



14. What has been your most memorable ride till date?
The one that comes up straight on recollection is the Rajasthan one. We did Delhi-Bikaner-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Delhi. We did some 2050 kms in 4 days time. 12 riders and families besides.

15.What’s the maximum three digit figure you’ve seen on your speedo?
I’ve just managed a 230 on my Intruder and a 260 on my Hayabusa. I dnt think I have the Balls for anything more. Maybe a 270 max. But I wouldn’t wanna risk it to prove something. Im happy with my performance.

16.Who maintains your bike – cleaning, servicing, etc?
I clean my bike my self. If its really dirty I let the Guard clean her up and I add to the finishing touches. Servicing I give to the company, so I can take their happiness, should anything go wrong.

17.Have you faced any problems with your bike(s)? If yes how did you managed to rectify it?
None so far in any of the bikes I rode. 2 Punctures and 1 clutch wire change on the Intruder that’s all.

18. What fuel/oil do you use and why?
Fuels 97 Octane and fully synthetic oil. Better lubrication and no knocking on the machine. Keeps it cooler.

19.Tell us about your riding gear (helmet, gloves and suits/jackets/pants and other protective gear)?
Jackets Ride Icon. Gloves aswell. Helmets Sharx and Nolan with integrated Blue-tooth technology. Trousers AXO . Shoes AXO

20.Are you looking at changing your bike any time soon? If yes, what bike would you consider and why?
Not looking for a change now. But if a 2nd bike
is to happen I would like to try a Litre bike.

21.What’s does your ideal weekend look like?
Sat morning Gym. Then at home. Catch a Movie with the Family or take Son to some Kids Joint to play around. Catch up with friends for dinner on Sat evenings. Sun A M ride. Then back home to sleep. Sunday evenings is Family time.




22.How do you answer the following questions?

How much does it cost?
A fellow rider Ken once told a fellow asking me the same thing. He told him that I bought I Suzuki from the back doors of a Yamaha showroom as they were selling really cheap. But hey don’t say I told you....hahahahahahaha.


23. What mileage do you get?
I tell them honestly that I get 12

24. Are you guys going for a race?
I say no...Cause then they would want to follow and catch up.


25. What tips do you have for aspiring riders looking to pick up a super sports bike?


Dance like no ones watching, sing like you don’t care, laugh like theres no tomorrow and Ride so as to be back in the saddle again tomorrow. (watch the rear view mirror for fools, your future depends on it)

10 comments:

  1. Excellent Shiv - totally loved it - specially the part where u had to buy the bike :)
    Gaurav

    ReplyDelete
  2. can someone talk about ' LIVING WITH A SUPERBIKER ' :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shiv, very nice interview. You said it all and infact I share most of your views other than I am looking for a bike with a cruiser blend which can take me both on plains and mountains and should look good. Comtemplating between BMW 1200 GS and Ducati Multistrada, what say you! I am leaving out Diavel again due to rear tire of 240 size.. Cheers Captain Ravee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Inspiring words from Shiv...
    Makes me think being a superbiker aint such a bad deal after all and also inspires me to go n get my next dream machine sometime soon, which happens to be the Massive Thundering Thumping Intruder.
    Way to go Shiv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shiv Raj Singh21 June 2011 at 15:33

    Thanks Guys and thanks for your comments. sorry i have been away and travelling. Capt Ravee go in for the Beamer.....Loved sharing my thoughts iwth you people. stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzuki a name of trust and quality.Those who have been automobiles fans they are well aware of Suzuki and will definitely agree with me.
    Suzuki Intruder bike in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shiv sorry to bother you.. But you look like me 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. You might comment on the order system of the blog. You should chat it's splendid. Your blog audit would swell up your visitors. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! intruder alarm monitoring

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Suzuki enthusiasts!

    I've been a proud Suzuki rider for a couple of years now, and I can't help but share my excitement about the incredible performance and reliability of Suzuki bikes.

    ReplyDelete