Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 April 2011

2. UV's Ducati 848 evo 2011


Name: Yuvraj AKA UV
Age: 29
Profession: IT
Motorcycle Club: G.O.D.S


"UV is as dedicated as they come. If we have a call time of meeting at 6:00 AM, Be assured UV would be waiting at the location since 05:30AM. thats sums it all up"



What the manual says about his bike..


Engine and transmission
Displacement : 849.40 ccm (51.83 cubic inches)
Engine type : V2, four-stroke
Power : 140.00 HP (102.2 kW)) @ 10500 RPM
Torque : 98.04 Nm (10.0 kgf-m or 72.3 ft.lbs) @ 9750 RPM
Compression : 13.2:1
Bore x stroke : 94.0 x 61.2 mm (3.7 x 2.4 inches)
Fuel system : fuel injected
Cooling system : Liquid
Gearbox : 6-speed
final drive : Chain
Clutch : Wet multiplate with hydraulic control
Driveline : Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 39
Emission details : Euro 3
Exhaust system : Lightweight 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and 2 lambda probes. Twin stainless steel mufflers
Frame type : Tubular steel Trellis frame in ALS 450
Rake (fork angle) : 24.5°
Front suspension : Showa 43mmfully adjustable usd forks
Front suspension travel : 127 mm (5.0 inches)
Rear suspension : Mono
Rear suspension travel : 120 mm (4.7 inches)
Front tyre dimensions : 120/70-17
Rear tyre dimensions : 180/55-17
Front brakes : Double disc. Brembo Monobloc 4-piston callipers
Front brakes diameter : 320 mm (12.6 inches)
Rear brakes : Single disc. 2-piston calliper
Rear brakes diameter : 245 mm (9.6 inches)
Dry weight : 168.0 kg (370.4 pounds)
Power/weight ratio : 0.8333 HP/kg
Seat height : 830 mm (32.7 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Wheelbase : 1,430 mm (56.3 inches)
Fuel capacity : 15.50 litres (4.10 gallons)
Color options : Red (red/black, Dark Stealth (racing black/black)

What UV says about the bike


1.What do you call your bike and why?

A. I call my bike as my 848 because it’s a Ducati 848 Evo and as people like to shorten the names for the ease of pronunciation; it’s called “the 848” by me.




2.Is she your first bike? If not what did you own before this?
A.It’s the third one now, (1) Yamaha YZF R1 2001 (2) Yamaha YZF R1 2008

3.Was it love at first sight or a product of long term research?
A.Absolutely Love at first sight, Ducati is so beautiful that no one can take his/her eyes of it.

4.Explain what went through your mind during the months before you managed to lay your hands on it?
A.I was going mad trying to finalize on which bike to buy. I got fascinated by the new kawazaki zx10r but there was no plans for them to launch it in India. Then I test rode the 2010 Fireblade.. Oh boy was that not a wonderful bike but the minute I laid my eyes on the 848 my decision was made. I plastered my computer with 848 wallpapers and I counted the days till I could get my hands on it.

5.First impression when you saw her all gleaming and polished.
A.Stood there stunned!


6.How long have you had the bike for and how many kilometers have you clocked.
A.Its been now about 3 months and have completed 1600Kms on it.

7.What the best attribute of the bike
A.Too many to name however will just try to name the major ones.
>The looks are simply stunning.
>Superb handling
>Awesome breaking
>Great acceleration from almost any gear

8.What’s irritates you most about the bike?
A.The riding posture is extremely track oriented and after a long ride I can feel pain in places I never knew existed. But it just a matter of getting used to

9.What part of the bike would you change and why?
A.Maybe I might think of lowering the seat or raising the handle to give it a slightly more comfortable ride.


10.What does your riding gear comprise of and which brand suits you the most?
Riding gear comprises of , helmet , jacket , gloves, shoes and a good pair of jeans.
AGV / Shark Helmet
Alpine / Frank Thomas jacket
Frank Thomas Gloves
Alpine star shoes

11.If you’d cheat on your bike, with which would it be?
A.It would be the mother of all cheating….. “the Y2k”.

12.Is she girlfriend material or long term wife material?
A.Hard to say…….. been with her for just 3 months 

13.Do you believe in cosmetic customization, If yes then what have you done on it?
A.Yeah its good to change some of the parts of the bike according to suit your preferences, not much done to the bike yet , only things I have put on is a Ducati Real seat cowl , Carbon fibre hugger , red rim tapes and a tank protector.

14.What according to you is the best mod to extract a little more bhp? What accessories did you spend your money on?
A.I would a say Termignoni full system would be the best to put on my bike to get some more juice out of the motor. If only they were a little less expensive.


15.Is she high on maintenance? Have you run into any electrical/mechanical issues?
A. No not yet.

16.What do you feed her? (what oil what petrol?)
A.For the oil it is Shell Ultra Advance 4T fully synthetic oil and petrol is speed 97 always.

17.Tell me about the day she made you feel like a superstar!
A.The day I ride , I feel like a super star…….

18.What does your wife/girl friend think about her?
A.She thinks the same, God its so beautiful!!!

19.Do you service it on your own? Or trust the mechanic at the service center?
I enjoy working on it however as I don’t have the proper tools I prefer taking it to the service centre.

20.What’s the maximum three digit figure you’ve seen on the Speedo?
Its still running in so I’ve settled for 240Km/h but once the engine is well set then it should go a lot more 

11 comments:

  1. I like to own a superbike and short listed from ducati monster 796 and yamahafz1.what is your opinion
    Srinivasan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be tough one to answer, as both of them are really nice machines, monster has the grunt and FZ1 could achieve more top end due to the windscreen.
    It would just boil down to your personal choice however I would suggest the monster if you already have experience on sbks as Ducati demands a lot of user feedback and rider needs to be really involved with the bike to enjoy it fully and if this is your first one go for the FZ1.
    Happy to answer if there are any further queries……

    Uv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Monty,
    It depends what you are looking for, you could go for the Hyosung gt 650 or the Ninja 650, I would prefer the Ninja......

    Uv

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello sir,
    I am planning on getting the 848evo in some time.
    My biggest concern is that I have heard people talk about its uncomfortable riding posture and seats. What is your say?
    also, what fuel effeciency does the bike give? I know I may sound a bit silly but I am keen on knowing everything abt the bike hence that question.
    Also, what are your overall impression about riding it everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Yes I would agree to people when they say the riding posture is aggressive , it’s a track tool and not meant for cruising , that said you could tweak few things to make it some what comfortable like changing the stock seat and grips etc.
    I come from a R1 and the evo was not very harsh for me, so it all depends what you have been riding before and how physically fit you are.
    I am not sure about the fuel efficiency , you should not be really bothered about that if you are riding superbikes, I hope you know what I mean…..
    It’s a great bike to ride however with Indian road and traffic conditions no superbike can be ridden everyday without pain.
    I hope my inputs will help you choose the best bike for you….

    Good Luck
    Uv

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello UV,,
    you are very helpful in suggesting .. i am too very confused about the bikes i love 848 design but i want also a comfortable bike like busa.... because i usually go for touring for max 500-600km in a day.. and one more important thing that we dont have speed97 here but we are getting good petrol in NRL petrol pumps.. so what you suggest... thanks in advance
    Deep

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deep,

    Thanks buddy, I am just trying to help my fellow riders as much as I can, you need to be practical here , touring for 500 – 600 Kms in a day nothing beats the busa hands down, you could do that on Ducati 848Evo however then you would have to compromise on the comfort.

    I can’t resist myself to suggest you something else that could give you best of both the worlds, the newly launched 848 Streetfighter, you will get the experience of the desmo engine and comfort of the touring bike.

    Good fuel is the basic requirement for all the sbks, I believe its 95octane so if you can check with NRL what is the octane rating that could help, make your decision wisely.


    I hope my inputs will help you choose the best bike for you….

    Good Luck
    Uv

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is kunal with in two day my new bike ducati evo 848 is coming I wanted to know that if il fell speed petrol in tank is it okie because its very difficult to find octane 97 n 93 in Mumbai plz let me know ASAP n let me know sum petrol pump in Mumbai thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kunal,

    congrats on the new bike. You will get 97 octane in mumbai. the guys at the dealership will guide you to the right pump. else contact someone from performance racing store.all details are on their website, they will tell you where to go. try to get 97 as your bike would perform better but it will still run on 91 maybe with a lil knocking


    Vijay

    ReplyDelete
  10. How much did u spent to get your hands on her?

    ReplyDelete